Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Preakness Thoughts   Triple Crown

Started May-10 by SameSteve G; 7865 views.
SameSteve G

May-10

First thought: Is Always Dreaming the next best thing to a mortal lock?

Second thought:  Do we try to beat him anyway?  Or, key him on top?  Or, just watch?

I hope he wins simply because I'd like to see him in The Belmont taking all the money.

Who's signed up from The KD?  Hence, LAL, CE, Gunny?   

sovereign1

May-10

Conquest Mo Money FTW! Or at least make Always Dreaming work for it all the way around. But yeah, I see your point about making it interesting for The Belmont.

SameSteve G

May-10

Ah, yes.  CMM should be live.  Last two published works (5 & 6f.) at Prairie Meadows.  He's a hard hitter.

cubs.fan

May-10

If he goes, Classic Empire reels AD in.

PISTOL9

May-10

If CE goes, no way.  I am almost inclined to think CE is if he is healthy.  Put AD way outside and CE a bit better post....... also LaL is a bet against for me at Pimlico.  If I bet it would have to be a big straight tri or something, unless I think something could edge out AD for 2nd.  A fragile TAP, coming back in 2 weeks, would not be surprised if off the board completely.   Preakness is never a big betting day.  I think I saw something about non Preakness winners, who won the KD, most of them were won on slop/off tracks at CD

Husker (Birdman506)

May-10

SameSteve G said:

First thought: Is Always Dreaming the next best thing to a mortal lock?

Given the number of entrants, and all that can go amiss with that field size, I will always discount a non-dominant winner.  Ergo, he is not a mortal lock.

Second thought:  Do we try to beat him anyway?  Or, key him on top?  Or, just watch?

I will watch; however, the track condition on Derby day, and finding the sweet spot on the track suited him well.  Given some of the issues that Classic Empire encountered makes me believe he can improve, and the jockey switch from Gunnevera to Cloud Computing causes me to think a fresh(er) Cloud Computing could have a shot.

SameSteve G

May-10

If CE goes, he's obviously 2nd choice in the betting.  I was very impressed by him in the KD.  Tough as nails over & above the talent.  

I happen to agree that he can reel in AD in a square race.

SameSteve G

May-10

Agree with you.

zambito

May-10

I'm willing to give Classic Empire another crack at him. The Derby was a complete mess. Not going to take anything from AD but you can't crown him when he had a easy trip and the surface and conditions didn't allow for others to race to their best abilities. 

• Edited May 10, 2017 10:51 am  by  zambito
SameSteve G

May-10

As you know, my questions were rhetorical.  I'm still not a believer in Always Dreaming despite, what, 4 in a row by open lengths.  The only reason I'd like to see him win is for down the road 3 weeks later in NY.

Derby was such a mess & the best contenders were wide after getting beat up early.

The lightly raced Cloud Computing is another live one for Brown, working steady at Belmont.