Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Peter Pan   Triple Crown

Started May-11 by RAESFAN; 495 views.
RAESFAN

May-11

The Peter Pan is this weekend. I don't want to bypass the Preakness, but this race is often seen as a Belmont prep. Master Plan goes in this race, and can be a reference point for us to gauge the abilities of the other entries. I particularly am interested in Timeline. He was sensational last out in the slop. Hopefully they will get a dry surface so I can see if he's for real deal. He was bought for a half a million as a yearling, and is by Hard Spun, out of an Empire Maker mare.

sovereign1

May-11

I like Take Your Guns - the other Chad Brown entry.

SameSteve G

May-11

Saturday, 100% chance of rain, slow in the morning & steadier all day & into the night, hi temp. of around 52, winds steady between 20-30 mph.

Close to zero chance of a fair track.

cubs.fan

May-11

It would be something else if the top three from the UAE Derby finish 1-2-3 in the Belmont.

SameSteve G

May-12

Nice little tri-box right there.  

RAESFAN

May-14

I didn't get the dry track I wanted, so I still don't know any more about Timeline. I would rather they aim for the Travers than the Belmont with him though.

esnov333

May-14

From what I read the Haskell is their aim with one race in between.  Belmont stakes wasn't their target if he did well yesterday,  but he did say they wouldn't rule out the Belmont just yet either. Also said he doesn't think he's a mile half horse. 

Not sure if the sloppy track favoring speed was a good indicator of the Japanese horse with the way Master Plan ran or not. 

Julz1127

May-14

I was looking at timeline for the Belmont.  I was curious to see how he would fare.  He reminds me of the path that tonalist took.  My question is that they both were lightly raced and ran the Peter Pan on a sloppy track.  TonAlist won in 148 2/5.  Timeline won in 151 3/5, over a 3 second difference which is around 15 lengths.  I'm wondering if you can really compare the two  times or if it's faulty due to the fact that you just can't compare a race years apart.  They both raced on the same sloppy surface, but 15 lengths is 15 lengths.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  

SameSteve G

May-14

The track was soup with sand in it.   There was a 20 to 30 mph headwind into the homestretch.  Might have had something to do with the raw time along with the very slick track.

RAESFAN

May-14

The other times on the day were slow too.