Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MTR Breakout Year!   Pedigree/Breeding

Started 5/25/17 by RAESFAN; 2030 views.
RAESFAN

Aug-13

What did you think of Copper Bullet in the Saratoga Special?

DogsUp

Aug-13

This field was larger than past couple of years.

Liked the tested fraction times and where jockey and colt could stay comfy third out of the outside gate. 

Looks like Irad Otiz already has his Derby horse which has never comes up for him like this. He stays in New York as lead jock and doesn't take his tack South.to find his Derby runner. Asmussen/trainer went with Irad in last two Belmonts: winner Creator and Looking at Lee. this year.

Came up this way as Irad didn't have a mount for the many regular barns he rides.

Derby runners have come out of Spa Special Gunnivere this year and Exaggerator last. Slim pickings prior.

RAESFAN

Aug-14

Irad was fortunate. Although the horse has generally been blamed for the problems he had in the Bashford Manor, Asmussen decided to take Geroux off, and replace him with Ortiz. They got a good gate and a good break, so they were able to avoid trouble. Although one would rather not be caught wide closely attending such sharp fractions, the horse got to show his stuff. To run away from what was considered going in to be a pretty salty group, went a long way towards validating the hype that has surrounded this horse so early. We'll see how far he wants to go, but he did finish very strong despite perhaps losing the most ground. I could have done without the "liberal" use of the whip through the stretch, but I guess that's how you teach a youngster to run hard to the wire.

Speaking of impressive juvies, Run Away looks very good out west, but I was extremely impressed with Kowboy Karma, who looked like he was out breezing when he took down his competition out at Delaware Park on 8/10. He is now 2/2, and has looked really good in both races.

sphenis

Aug-14

I too liked Copper Bullet's race. And there are some real nice stamina influences on the bottom half of that pedigree. Hollywood Star ran ok.

Baffert also unveiled a nice one yesterday - Soul Streit. Only went 5F but fast. Out of McCleans Music who only ran one race...but it was the fastest ever for a 2YO. He also has Zulfihar and will be debuting St. Patrick's Day in the next 2 weeks.

Callaghan has Run Away and ONeill has Gracida. West coast appears to have some potential good ones.

sphenis

Aug-14

Forgot Bolt D'oro of the west coast contingent. He too ran a nice 1st race and seems well bred.

RAESFAN

Aug-14

Many have been gushing about Bolt d'Oro. Nice prospects out there. I thought the Saratoga Special's beyer was rather low(77) though.

In reply toRe: msg 26
RAESFAN

Aug-25

Lot of great races this weekend at the Spa and Del Mar. A bit under the radar may be a MSW at Del Mar(7th) on Sunday. I will be looking to see if the Baffert trained, Nero, will burn up the track in his debut! He is by Pioneerof the Nile, out of a Stormy Atlantic mare, and sold for $950k as a yearling to Tabor, M., Magnier, M., Smith, D. and Stonestreet Stables LLC. Been working very fast, as the Bafferts tend to do, and is 8/5 on the ML. 

In reply toRe: msg 27
RAESFAN

Aug-26

Stonestreet who has the aforementioned Nero debuting at Del Mar on Sunday, also has another high priced youngster making his debut at Saratoga today. Good Magic(Curlin), out of a Hard Spun mare, is favored in the first race for Chad Brown. He sold for a cool million as a yearling. This could be an auspicious weekend for these connections.

DogsUp

Aug-30

Catholic Boy @ Spa won 9th race / 8th race 3/5 going into race With 109 Beyer Mr Crow Wins / last leg 6 runners pk 3 $1028. The owner is one who wants his Ky Derby. C boy now 2for 2. Beat 3 other 1st time winners going into their 2nd race. (d)

• Edited August 30, 2017 7:04 pm  by  DogsUp
RAESFAN

Aug-30

I saw his debut down at Gulfstream, and couldn't wait for him to run back. He was very professional in the With Anticipation, and still looks to want more ground. He works well on the dirt, so eventually you know they will try him there.

Copper Bullet goes in the Iroquois in a few weeks. Tomorrow Wild N Ready goes in the PG Johnson. Several other juvies have run well and may see stakes action soon. All this and More Than Ready's two highest sellers have yet to post works. I'm feeling it.