Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Company Lines   Handicapping

Started Jun-17 by cubs.fan; 502 views.
cubs.fan

Jun-17

This particular angle is one of my favorites. I try to keep a running rankings system of class and surface and often something will pop off off the page. I find that this works best, in my experience, on turf.

I often employ this angle for 3yos who are dropping in class, particularly when the horse is beaten by many lengths by top runners who have placed in a Derby prep.

On the very rare occasion, I can find a diamond in the rough at our local track. Probably one of the best scores that I've had on this angle came a few weeks ago in a Maiden 6f race.

The #1 horse, Decaro, (attached below) had shown little in his three starts, beaten soundly in each. However, in his first career race, he debuted in a 7F 2yo sprint stakes, outrun and beaten 30 lengths by none other than the Derby runner-up, Lookin at Lee.

So with this in mind, coupled with the fact that this trainer tends to race a lot of his horses into shape, and that he has getting a tremendous upgrade in jockey (Giles), he was a great bet in this field.

The horse was sent off at a massive 28-1, and as a regular at this track, the longest shot is rarely above 15-1. Giles, who is a great gate jockey, sent him from the rail and straight to the lead. He led every step of the way, winning by an impressive 5+ lengths.

$5 to win and I singled him in a 1x3x3 pick three netted me about $400, which more than paid for last week’s Belmont goose egg.

• Edited June 17, 2017 1:18 pm  by  cubs.fan
SameSteve G

Jun-18

I like it.  A simple & effective angle.

Ever read any Ray Talbout?  There was a fellow ahead of his time.  Invented a slide-rule pace calculator when only a very select few had any handle on pace.

Plus, speaking of angles, he was the angle-meister.  Some of his angles got pretty complicated but they were fun to test.  He had that old school style of writing, as well, which was a pleasure to read.

Husker (Birdman506)

Jun-18

SameSteve G said:

Ever read any Ray Talbout?  There was a fellow ahead of his time.  Invented a slide-rule pace calculator when only a very select few had any handle on pace.

I still have one in the dungeon desk drawer. 

SameSteve G

Jun-18

Why doesn't it surprise me that you have one & also used it?  :)  It's in the American History collection of the Smithsonian, as well.  Not on display but they have it.

I was reading an article in which no less a light than Dr. Howard Sartin ( a pace guru) extols the virtues of Talbout's calculator.  It really was revolutionary.

For anyone interested here's a link to a whole bunch of Talbout's articles.  Angles galore!  There's a lot of good stuff.   Ray died in 1969 & American Turf Monthly just keeping reissuing his articles.  I don't particularly like it because it smacks of exploitation rather than a homage to the man.

https://www.americanturf.com/pace/rayarticles.cfm?

Msg 678.5 deleted
cubs.fan

Jun-19

I've heard the name, but I don't think I've read his work before. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Wintertrian

Jun-19

SameSteve G said...

Ever read any Ray Talbout?

Looking over toward my bookcase now, 1975 edition (21st printing) hardback Talbout's Thoroughbred Horse Racing, Playing for Profit.  Missing dustcover, green boards.  

So I always confuse it with book next to it, also missing dust jacket, green boards, Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner.  

I still read both on occassion, the writing is so good. :)

SameSteve G

Jun-20

I like Stegner.  I think my favorite is The Spectator Bird.

As far as reading handicapping books, I don't read as much anymore.  At one time, I devoured whatever I could find.  Most of the stuff is useless, imo, but if you can pull out a new idea that works for your style of play, then I think plowing through is worth it.

Talbout was fun to read not only because he wrote well but he also had a great attitude about handicapping & betting and was constantly cooking up new ideas to try.  Not a one trick pony by any means.