Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Coventry Stakes thoughts   General Discussions

Started Jun-20 by radiocblue; 206 views.
radiocblue

Jun-20

Thinking of the Ascot meet which begins today recalls this bit of musical goodness: 

My Fair Lady: the Ascot Gavotte

the "Ascot Gavotte", from "My Fair Lady" by George Cukor, 1964 music by Frederic Loewe, lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner, gowns by Cecil Beaton

The Coventry Stakes is the first such major test in the UK for 2YO hopefuls. Minus proper pace/time information on BRIS, I used info from The Racing Post and decided on these 3: 
Aqabah is who I like most here. Winner of an allowance on this track last month, and 4th last out in a 2YO stakes race while stretching out, he does add blinkers, and has the fastest pace numbers (measured by pure mph) of those who had a trouble trip last time.
Murillo also looks interesting here. Cut to 5 furlongs last time, he won a maiden race at Tiperary as well as it being a shipping win. Waiting since 5/25 to stretch out again.
Rajasinghe won an allowance race in his lone start, on the all-weather at Newcastle. That race gave him the highest Racing Post total of anyone coming in.
Haddaf may be one to use here. 3 races in, all at 5 furlongs, he is still a maiden, but he did manage a strong pace number, and may be a bounce risk following a 3rd place finish in a stakes effort at Sandown Park. His times at 5 furlongs thus far: 1:00.4, losing by a neck; 1:00.2 (ditto), and 59.4 (1.25 lengths behind).

Wintertrian

Jun-20

thanks for the wrap up!

My Fair Lady......OMG......as a child, I only had 2 records:  My Fair Lady (orig. broadway production), and Petula Clark's "Downtown".  At any rate, I know every song of My Fair Lady by heart, to this day.  Love it!

radiocblue

Jun-21

Rajasinghe emerges as the victor! 

In the upcoming Queen Mary Stakes I'm going with favored Happy Like A Fool, then longshots Out Of The Flames and Maybride.