Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Pakistan Star Decides Not To Run   General Discussions

Started Jun-27 by SameSteve G; 300 views.
SameSteve G

Jun-27

In all the years I've watched races, I've never seen anything like this.  Pakistan Star simply stops running well into the race.  Of course, the first thought is, hope he's okay.  And he was.  The jockey, Joe Moreira, did get the horse to the wire long, long after the rest of the field had finished.  Check out this clip.

http://www.smh.com.au/video/video-sport/video-horse-racing/pakistan-star-sensationally-stops-midrace-20170625-4vh4z.html

TexSquared

Jun-28

Horse didn't want to work today ... sometimes you'll see horses bolt toward the backstretch exit to the barn area (or just bolt to the outside rail to not participate in the race), and sometimes you get this.

SameSteve G

Jun-28

I've seen hundreds & hundreds of horses dwell in the gate.  Basically, refuse before they begin. Horses bolting as you describe is not as common as those who dwell but I've seen plenty.  One particular horse, Mr. Tux, who raced in the early '90s I won't ever forget because I had (stupidly) touted him to my friends.  I bet him & so did they.  The gates swung open & Mr. Tux stayed put for what seemed like a week.  Oh boy, did I take abuse.  :)

I've never seen a horse do what Pakistan Star did; or, at least I cannot remember such a thing.  I think the jock made the right decision once he determined the horse wasn't hurt, though, by insisting the horse finish the race.  It's less likely he'll pull that trick again since he was made to go on.

honneerider

Jun-28

You are correct , Steve, the rider made the correct decision. The horse can't call the shots, end on a good note, etc.

Evening Attire always sauntered out of the gate, and Classic Empire recently refused to work!  

SameSteve G

Jun-28

Good thing these aren't union horses.  Heck, they'd strike.  :)