Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

11 year old after 6-1/2 year layoff?   General Discussions

Started Jun-27 by Wintertrian; 1013 views.
Wintertrian

Jun-27

so tired of this.  Write, call somebody.  Even if it's not your track.  

1 workout.  6.5 year layoff.  Horse is 11 years old.   

I wish they would just close Penn Nat'l and Charlestown, everything that gives racing a bad name---federal investigations haven't seemed to close down Penn Nat......maybe a sinkhole will open and swallow it, one can only hope

https://twitter.com/atTheTrack7/status/879880027814461441/photo/1

In reply toRe: msg 1
Wintertrian

Jun-28

Then of course, the case of Dr. Drip.  Don't read it with a full stomach.

People worried they are closing race tracks?  Close  'em down, and keep the few that can do right by the horses.  This is disgraceful

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/06/27/former-champion-racehorse-dies-after-being-severely-neglected/

A multiple stakes winning horse, my god, how he must have suffered.  It is unthinkable.  How does this happen?

Artcile says owners name w/held, but easy to look this stuff up.  I'd like to HEAR THE STORY!

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=7656456&registry=Q

If a horse wins stakes for you, seems like you could put him on your farm for the rest of his life.  If you can't, then don't OWN ANY HORSES 

In reply toRe: msg 2
Wintertrian

Jun-28

So update on teh story.  Some loser kid, 18 years old, was arrested, and admitted he "owned" th horse.   HOw does a horse who earned almost $300K end up with a loser kid like this, who I doubt PAID ANYTHING AT ALL FOR HIM.  (last race was a 17K claimer at Delta downs)

Eaten alive by maggots.  Please how does this happen?

Sorry, but things need to change in West Virginia and Louisiana, in light of these stories. 

http://www.katc.com/story/35738847/memorial-service-for-champion-horse-starved-neglected-set-for-june-28

Bail was only $5,000.   !!!   There shouldn't BE any bail. 

SameSteve G

Jun-30

Based on what I've been reading about the federal trial of Murray Rojas, a Penn National trainer, in which another trainer (Stephanie Beattie, who's cooperating with the feds ) has stated, under oath, that 95 to 98% of the trainers at Penn cheat by treating their horses with medications on race days to boost their performance (besides lasix, of course) & have been getting away with it through the utter failure of regulators to effectively police the sport.

As far as I'm concerned, this trial only exposes as true what many of us have believed for a long time. 

Based on the testimony, I agree with you that Penn is a cesspool & should be closed & fumigated just like they do with restaurants that have cockroach infestations.

Now, it would take a cabbage patch doll to think that Penn is the only track where this kind of criminal activity occurs.  It is not as rampant, perhaps, but I would submit that every track has a degree of criminal activity occurring, including animal abuse, wagering fraud, etc.

In effect, racing itself is on trial unless one believes Penn has the corner on crooks.  

My question, as a gambler, is how can I justify putting another penny into the sport while it's in its current condition?  Can I know for certain that a race, any race, I bet into is on the square?  I conclude that I lack that knowledge & therefore I will no longer bet U.S. racing.  The game is tough enough when it's perfectly clean but becomes way too tough when it's crooked & there's no way of knowing which race or races are rigged.

Plus, I have a revulsion for the idea that every time an innocent horse is manipulated with meds. it is animal abuse.  Is there another name for it except, perhaps, obscene human greed, which results in animal abuse?  In either case, it's not defensible.

I'm not going to emulate Steve Roman & disappear (although some here might wish I did) because I still enjoy communicating with our friends on the forum.  I'm simply not going to fund my little postage stamp sized corner of the game.  Too bad, because I enjoy a flutter as much as the next guy.  

DogsUp

Jun-30

Congratulations Steve, hold your ground, feet to the fire and don't fund the game you detest!

In reply toRe: msg 5
SameSteve G

Jun-30

On the contrary, man, I think handicapping horses is the best game ever invented.  What I detest is what I described in the post you're responding to.

I think you knew that.

fivestaryak

Jun-30

Many problems in all corners of the industry, but I believe WVA is requiring it's tracks to be accredited by the Safety And Integrity Alliance...the value of that can be debated as with a restaurant posting a BBB decal or their county health department inspection results.  Looks great on Monday, not so good on Tuesday without constant follow-up; but it's something.

Don't believe any of the PA tracks are accredited nor is Oaklawn.  Meeting standards and regulations all come at a price which many facility owners, legislative bodies and lobbying groups aren't willing to implement, comply with or invest in.  Image and bottom line at home are good...why bother.

From a wagering standpoint, I closely tracked fifty or so specific races and possible entrants each year--I'm down to about a dozen races.  Like many long time fans and players, the drip, drip, drip of bad news in the breeding and racing industry is emptying my interest bucket.  Hoping.....

SameSteve G

Jun-30

Hope springs eternal.  My hope is that this very public exposure of racing ultimately has a beneficial effect by hastening serious reform to create an environment (and a culture) where cheating cannot flourish.  

I'm not naive enough to think it will be eradicated but if cheating becomes a true exception & is dealt with very harshly when it is discovered, I'd regain my confidence in the integrity of my wagers & go back to betting U.S. races.  Luckily, I can indulge in int'l racing via my ADW if I so desire.

That's why I view the cheats as particularly virulent symptoms of the real disease which is the powers-that-be.  They are the ones who have allowed the current state of the sport to devolve into what we have.  Given the questionable ethics of some humans, if a loophole is there, they will slither through it.  The current regulatory mish-mash in racing is riddled with loopholes.

I do believe the Barr-Tonko bill is our best chance to scrub the sport & revitalize it.  That's what I hope for.

Gerh

Jun-30

This is sickening.This guy should be publicly flogged

fivestaryak

Jun-30

I share in your hope that the Bill passes.  It will be interesting to see how many teeth are pulled out of it should it be signed.  I imagine Lasix is safe along with the major players inside the industry getting a seat at the table. 

I've never had much interest in the lower purse tracks since they didn't offer the race conditions that I followed.  Many of those tracks have more trainers than folks that populate the town I live in.  Made me wonder if in some jurisdictions you can complete the vet/trainer requirements on-line and pick up the license at a drive thru window. 

Do you have an over/under year on when the Bill will make it to the floor?