Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

RIP Better Talk Now   General Discussions

Started Jun-28 by TexSquared; 258 views.
SameSteve G

Jun-28

Oh man.  One of my favorites.  Such a neat horse & very sad to hear this.  When he was right & in the proper frame of mind he was a great closer.  Just about the only thing I enjoyed about the BC at Lone Star was having a big win bet on Blackie in The Turf.   Loved a free week in Texas with money to spare.  Otherwise, in my opinion, you can keep the place.

No offense meant to any Texans who love it.  ;)

honneerider

Jun-28

Was just coming to post this heartbreaking news. Blackie was one of our all time favorites. Who can forget his Breeder's Cup turf win. Steve, Jason bet him to win,also. We were there for Ramon's winning ride in the Manhattan! You could have heard us screaming him home.

I had emailed Herringswell earlier in the week and had a prompt answer from Anita that he was still  that fighter we knew. He did fight to the end.

Rest in peace, Blackie. You stole our hearts forever.

SameSteve G

Jun-28

That was some race because Blackie bore in & in & in.  Frankly, I found myself sweating from more than the heat with all that money on the line.  If he hadn't prevailed by two lengths & it hadn't been a BC race where the calls don't come like they do in every day racing, I believe he would have been toast.   Plus, I thought Ramon really did a great job mitigating the damage.

What a career.  How often do we get to see them run almost 9 seasons?    First race in 2001.  Last race in 2009.

TexSquared

Jun-28

Damn, you were at that BC and didn't come down to find us?  I remember it was very hot there (but nowhere as bad as Santa Anita in 2008) but I had a great time; my one and only visit to Texas.

-Tex

SameSteve G

Jun-28

Don't blame me, I didn't know you guys then!   We were there for a full week & that was plenty enough.  The only other times I've been in Texas was to drive through it a few times many years ago when I was going to school in Arizona & then you really get a sense of what an immense state it is. For a city boy like me,  seemed like another planet in many places.

Wintertrian

Jun-29

There is something rather nice about all those Wimborne Farms breedings.  The horses all seem to have very kind eyes and are kinda special.

How did Motion come to train this horse, was that around the time the Perkins were disbursing their stock/farm?  Just curious how he became the trainer.

In reply toRe: msg 7
SameSteve G

Jun-29

This is very well expressed & brought tears to my eyes:

http://herringswellstables.com/until-we-meet-again/

Husker (Birdman506)

Jun-29

SameSteve G said:

brought tears to my eyes:

Mine, too. :(