Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Older Horse Division   General Discussions

Started Jul-5 by RAESFAN; 268 views.
RAESFAN

Jul-5

I have seen Belmont throw up some fast times when "wet fast", so I'm a bit suspect of Seymourdini's time on Monday. However, the track was listed as "muddy", which I don't know if I believe, but whatever the case, the horse ran huge! 

The older horse division after Arrogate is looking pretty good. Six different horses have received beyer figures of 110 and above this year; Send It In(119), Tu Brutus(118), Seymourdini(113), Shaman Ghost(112), Collected(111), and Gun Runner(110). It has been difficult to see beyond the brilliance of Arrogate with regard to this division, but there are some nice horses behind him. On their best day, could he stumble out of the gate and circle a field with the above horses, as he did in Dubai? Maybe, but I think these horses are certainly worthwhile watching as we move toward the BC Classic.

SameSteve G

Jul-5

The purse for 2nd place in the Classic is $1,020,000.  Sounds like a good enough reason to try the beast.

The Beyers are one thing but Arrogate has a deadly combination of speed & stamina that I don't think the others can physically match, especially at 10 f.  

I mean, he just runs.  Imagine if he knew what he was doing?  :)

fivestaryak

Jul-5

Still a baby...many of them get better at 4 years and up...scary.

Same biorhythms as Citation (11 April foals)...go figure.

SameSteve G

Jul-5

Oh, I agree.  The premature retirements of so many at 3 do not give us a complete picture of the horse.  I understand the financial aspect but it sure would be nice to see which ones improve & which ones do not.

That quartet of races which Arrogate has won, The Travers - BC Classic - Pegasus - DWC, are about as good as it gets on dirt in this day & age.

In fact, those 4 measure up historically, as well, imo.

I think he's pointing to the San Diego on 7/22 at Del Mar.  A little tune-up at 8.5 f.   Perhaps the Pac Classic in August & then the BC Classic?    

RAESFAN

Jul-5

There are a couple of four year olds in that group as well. Some have made significant leaps this year. Who knows where the ceiling is on any of them? I've been a huge Arrogate fan from before last year's Travers. I want him to go down as one of the greats, and one thing he will need is solid competition. Otherwise, one argument against him will be that he had no real competition. He will need to race against horses who are looked upon favorably in their own right, not just for the reason just stated, but I want him tested so we can see what more is in the tank. American Pharaoh was exceptional, but just imagine if Beholder and Chrome were in the BC Classic that year.

• Edited July 5, 2017 9:09 pm  by  RAESFAN
fivestaryak

Jul-6

Given the schedule you indicated, that will give him four starts between BC Classic efforts should he go.

I found it interesting that 65 runners have tried the BC Classic multiple times with 12 attempting to do what Tiznow pulled off.  Tiznow had 5 starts in between his Classic wins but no World Cup.

Three previous with a BC Classic/World Cup win in Cigar (7 starts 3rd), Pleasantly Perfect (4 starts 3rd) and Curlin (6 starts 4th).   

Pretty elite bunch.

SameSteve G

Jul-6

I don't expect a sterner test than the one he faced & passed with that remarkable win in the DWC. Not that I wouldn't welcome it because I agree that the essence of the sport is distilled in great competition which leads to memorable racing.