Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Pacific Classic time!   General Discussions

Started Aug-17 by TexSquared; 602 views.
SameSteve G

Aug-18

I'd be shocked by three things.

1.  If Arrogate goes off even money.  I expect him to go below.

2.  If he loses.

3.  If he loses, it takes more than 10 minutes to retire him.

cubs.fan

Aug-19

Agree 100%. I'll bet a tiny exacta with him and Royal Albert Hall, because why not. Add in Hard Aces for the tri.

zambito

Aug-19

Coooollected baby!!! Everyone here knows this was my derby horse last year but never got a chance. He's grown up and is not running second to anyone anymore. 

• Edited August 19, 2017 11:08 pm  by  zambito
SameSteve G

Aug-20

Unless one wants to give Arrogate the excuse of running wide throughout, I don't see the same horse who went on that 4 race tear.  

SameSteve G

Aug-20

Collected collected.  ;)

smartyslew

Aug-20

for fun I played the 3-2-all tri.

horse for the course won, horse for everywhere else on dirt, second.

he had to fight to get 2nd and the 2 horse tired down the stretch.

reminds me of Silver Charm, he didn't like Del Mar either and saying that

Arrogate wasn't ready in the previous Race and this Summer he's not the same Horse!

Gun Runner runs next, lets see if he is number one on dirt!

i'm praying Gun Runner doesn't peak to early!

RAESFAN

Aug-20

Some are suggesting that he may not like Del Mar. I can't say since he did win there last year. However, that race only had two other overmatched rivals, so there is not much to be gleaned from that. I will reserve judgement until he races again...if he races again.

SameSteve G

Aug-20

The same track super, Dennis Moore, works the surface at both Santa Anita & Del Mar.  Both dirt surfaces feature "El Segundo" sand & this year, the banking at Del Mar was reconfigured to be the same as Santa Anita.

My personal belief is that the surface is not to blame for the fact that whereas up until & including Dubai, Arrogate worked but never appeared to lumber & labor.  Now, he labors.  The go-to excuse when a horse appears to be laboring is that he doesn't care for the surface.  I don't buy it.

In terms of conditioning, he got next to nothing out of the San Diego.  He wasn't terrible yesterday & I suspect he got quite a lot from the PC & could move forward to be a threat in the BC if he's not retired.  In fact, if we didn't have those killer races to refer to, yesterday would have been unremarkable.  

It's clear he's tailed off, though.  I'm not going to speculate as to why. 

SameSteve G

Aug-20

RAESFAN said:

if he races again

I read somewhere that Juddmonte has already purchased some dirt-bred mares.  Ghostzapper's daughter, Paulassilverlining comes to mind.  She's slated to go to Arrogate next year.

It's interesting because he didn't run a clunker but he's clearly not the same horse.  We should hear soon whether or not he's going to stay in training for a BC swan song.