Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

blast from the past   General Discussions

Started Aug-24 by Wintertrian; 265 views.
Wintertrian

Aug-24

lookie who is racing in Race 1 today Saratoga........#8

My goodness, I had a terrible horse crush on this one when he was in the KY Derby.   I mean, he's got to be one of the most good looking horses I've ever seen in my entire life.

And then he turned into a jumper 

RAESFAN

Aug-24

You can just look at him and tell he thinks he's "hot stuff"!

Wintertrian

Aug-27

I know, right?   He was my "boyfriend horse" during that year's KY Derby.  I fell hard for him and the name was just ridiculously perfect.

Combo of Jean Knight's Mr. Big Stuff and Donna Summer, Hot Stuff, big disco song  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IdEhvuNxV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f4CyQto-0E

Yeah, I was a huge Soul Train fan when I was a young woman. :)

RAESFAN

Aug-27

Oh my! Mr. Big Stuff! I had the 45, and the needle must have dug a groove in that disc, I played it so often. I was a Soul Train kid as well, even though I couldn't dance a lick!

Wintertrian

Aug-28

RAESFAN said...

I was a Soul Train kid as well, even though I couldn't dance a lick!

Speaking of dancing, this was one of my favorites.......wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCBXTfoVq8

RAESFAN

Aug-28

My man Dick Clark! You are gonna get me all nostalgic! I think the years from '65 - '74 were the happiest decade of my life! The Virgin Islands was a true American Paradise back then.

Wintertrian

Aug-28

RAESFAN said...

My man Dick Clark! You are gonna get me all nostalgic! I think the years from '65 - '74 were the happiest decade of my life! The Virgin Islands was a true American Paradise back then.

I understand.   I lived on San Salvador island for 2 years BEFORE it was taken over by dive boat and luxury condo and resort owners.  It was pretty rustic before all that, I mean, I had to walk 6 miles round trip to buy bread from somebody.  They had only gotten electricity a year or 2 before.....most everyone still did their washing on washboard in a tub.  :)

I can give you a list of places that were idyllic before all that happened, here in the U.S., and where I lived.  St. Simons Island, Sullivans Island, Bayfield Wisconsin.   I have gone back to all these places since and my stomach just churns.   Charleston became "Hollywood's Version of the South" with the ralph lauren stores and such on the main street.   These were all really laid back communities before the boom.    

Most of the time I think I don't belong here, my sensibilities are toward way more simplicity and more european perhaps.    

Marketers and greed have completely taken over---  There is no going back though.  Affluenza.  

RAESFAN

Aug-28

Wintertrian said:

Most of the time I think I don't belong here, my sensibilities are toward way more simplicity and more european perhaps.

I feel exactly the same way! Unfortunately, I see no way back. I can only try my best to teach tried and true values to the young people I mentor.