Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Top 3 Yr Old C&G   General Discussions

Started Aug-28 by Pick-4; 372 views.
Pick-4

Aug-28

Who do you think is the top 3 year old colt and gelding.

1).West Point after beating the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont,Haskell and Jim Dandy winners in the Travers but that's his only graded win for the year. If he wins the G1 Pennsylvania Derby does that make him a lock for the champion 3 Yr Old.If Eclipse Award voting closed today, West Coast, being the best 3-year-old at the moment, would certainly get a good share of the vote.West Coast, a son of Flatter, won his fourth consecutive race in the Travers, in which he ran 1 1/4 miles in 2:01.19. He earned a 108 Beyer Speed Figure, the highest number for a 3-year-old in a two-turn race this year

2) Always Dreaming who is the only one to win two Grade 1's, the Florida Derby and Kentucky Derby.
After running poorly for the third straight race, Kentucky Derby winner Always Dreaming will be sent to WinStar Farm in Lexington Ky., on Monday for a break and will get a complete physical, after which his connections will make a decision on his future.Always Dreaming’s Kentucky Derby win is looking like a muddy track fluke, and in regard to his Florida Derby, as many of us know, Gulfstream can often be a lot like Las Vegas – what happens there, stays there.

3).Irap who has won the G2 Bluegrass, G3 Ohio Derby and G3 Indiana Derby
Irap, third in the Travers by 2 1/2 lengths over Belmont Stakes winner Tapwrit, will be pointed to the Pennsylvania Derby, trainer Doug O’Neill said via text. Irap will stay on the East Coast to prepare for that race, according to O’Neill.

4).Girvin who has won the G1 Haskell,G2 Louisiana Derby and G2 Risen Star

5).Tapwrit who won the G1 Belmont and the G2 Tampa Bay Derby
Pletcher said Belmont Stakes winner Tapwrit, fourth in the Jim Dandy, came out of the race well and could possibly make his next start in either the Pennsylvania Derby or the Jockey Club Gold Cup at Belmont on Oct. 7.

6). Oscar Performance sports wins in the Grade 1 Secretariat, the Grade 1 Belmont Derby, and the Grade 3 Pennine Ridge this year. However, all of those races were on turf. The 3-year-old divisions have always belonged to dirt performers, and in my mind always will. But this year things might,just might be different but don't bet on it.

In reply toRe: msg 1
fivestaryak

Aug-28

At this point and imo, it will depend on the winner of the PA Derby (West Coast likely should he run and to find a jockey) and his finish position in the Classic (should he run).  Tapwrit's best shot is to win the JCGC and finish ahead of West Coast in the Classic(should he run).  

Todd has Protonico lined up in the JCGC, 750k and Outplay lined up in the PA Derby, 1.25m.  Tapwrit can take the 3yo Travers-JCGC route as did Tonalist, Summer Bird and Bernardini; all had to ship west.  The break for Tapwrit between the Belmont and Travers may help him should Todd choose the JCGC route.  He'll have his work cut out to beat the probable olders.

West Coast could run back in the JCGC but Smith has Effinex and then Arrogate.  Magic Bob still has Hoppertunity signed up.  Flatter as a sire has two wins in the JCGC but the purse, turnaround to Classic and locking in a jockey for the Classic makes sense to run him in the PA Derby. 

Arrogate, Gun Runner and Collected(Magic Bob's greatest work of all time) should be waiting.

Unless something crazy happens, doubt the others you mentioned will be in the discussion...imo.

Gerh

Aug-28

What happens if Classic Empire can manage to win the PA Derby and then finish ahead of the other 3 year olds in the Classic

In reply toRe: msg 3
fivestaryak

Aug-28

Could get interesting as long as his connections keep him on the left coast to run in and win the Hollywood Derby, but then again he doesn't have a Derby and Preakness win on his resume.  Unless something crazy happens!  Bayern won the Woody Stephens, Haskell, PA Derby and BC Classic and couldn't put a dent in the love affair with Chrome...nonetheless, a worthy winner since Sherman was involved.

If West Coast runs in the PA Derby and runs his race, do you really see Classic Empire getting to him?  CE would still have to get by that (reserved-for-humans) phenom, Irap.

Gerh

Aug-28

Hard to know how Classic Empire will come back.Will be interesting to see who signs on for the PA derby.If CE fires his A game,it could get interesting

In reply toRe: msg 1
RAESFAN

Aug-28

I think you have to give the edge at thus point to West Coast. It seems that in recent years, trainers have found it difficult to get their charges to peak for the TC races, and then keep them in top form through the summer and into the fall. WC has is on a roll, showing something we haven't seen much from our top sophs lately...consistency. However, this is one year I don't expect a three year old to make noise in the BC Classic.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Pick-4

Aug-28

Classic Empire, last year’s champion 2-year-old male whose 3-year-old season has been interrupted by infirmity and immaturity, will not run in the Grade 1, $1 million Pennsylvania Derby at Parx on Sept. 23, trainer Mark Casse said on Monday. Casse said he is still not totally satisfied with how Classic Empire is training at Winding Oaks Farm in Ocala, Fla

In reply toRe: msg 7
Gerh

Aug-28

That's disappointing.This horse seems to be snake bit.Thanks for the update.

In reply toRe: msg 6
Wintertrian

Aug-28

Great discussion~

For me, either I'm not focussed this year, or all these horses tend to meld into one big ball of wax for me, beating up on each other all the way since the early spring.   

Nobody really stands out for me, so I have to think about it a little more. 

I am one who tends not to like the ultra-blue-bloods, but prefer a workmanlike hard workers like Gunrunner or Jackson Bend types......those who can keep gutting it out and prove to be "real" race horses and not just precocious "I won 2 G1s and a G2 and to the breeding shed I go..."

I look over the field of the BEL stakes of this year and out of all those horses, I'd say the one that "worked the hardest" was Lookin at Lee.   Unfortunately, he was not brilliant enough to win a lot.  But he has run his heart out.  

honneerider

Aug-28

The horse I root strongly for every time this year, and, as Winter mentioned "workmanlike, showing up every time", is Practical Joke. He is my Hard Spun this year. He and Classic Empire were my exacta horses back in the Hopeful. (Jackson Bend was also a favorite, and never forget screaming him home in the Forego).

Thinking Classic Empire won't be ready this year at the rate he is NOT training well.