Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Songbird Retired   General Discussions

Started Aug-31 by Pick-4; 167 views.
Pick-4

Aug-31

Owner Rick Porter announced on Facebook Thursday that two-time Eclipse Award winning filly Songbird has been retired due to both of her hind suspensory ligaments being enlarged.

Porter wrote that the enlargement was in a similar area to where Songbird had bonebruising last year that delayed her return to the races this year.

The enlargement was diagnosed by Dr. Larry Bramlage at the Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky. where Songbird was sent following her loss to Forever Unbridled in the Grade 1 Personal Ensign at Saratoga last Saturday.

"After this past race, we thought something seemed off in her hind end, so we sent her to Rood & Riddle for an evaluation. Her lameness was readily apparent to Dr. Bramlage, and ultrasounds proved both hind suspensories were enlarged,"

Porter wrote on the Fox Hill Farm Facebook page. "Since suspensories are usually the result of something else amiss and he knew of her history, Dr. Bramlage shot a set of x-rays of the area of bone Songbird had issues with over the winter. A distinct line on the bone was present. We followed up with a bone scan, and then an MRI.

In reply toRe: msg 1
honneerider

Aug-31

Big Money Mike felt nothing "off", yet Dr. Bramlage visually saw her off in hind end. I always considered Mike to feel the horse and know.

I believe they should fly the good doc to DelMar to check out Arrogate.

Glad she retired before something tragic occurred 

"Big Money Mike" is probably savvy enough to disclose his thoughts to the connections rather than acknowledging them to reporters.

I don't disagree with your thoughts on Arrogate, but the connections probably are ahead of you on this.

honneerider

Sep-1

Understood, but there was some disagreement with Hollendorfer and Rick.  Jerry did not think Songbird needed to be checked out, IIRC.

I admire Rick for taking care of the champ, and now that he has (for the moment ) won his cancer battle, hope he has another captivating horse to keep him going.

Gerh

Sep-1

Would love to see Rick getting a good one and giving it to Cliff Sise.Both guys deserve some good luck