Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gun Runner: One to beat?   Breeders' Cup

Started Sep-2 by RAESFAN; 410 views.
RAESFAN

Sep-2

With Arrogate underperforming, is Gun Runner the best older dirt horse in training?

honneerider

Sep-2

At the track today, from the walkover to the winner's circle, I kept chanting, "HOY, HOY"! Gun Runner was spectacular.

RAESFAN

Sep-3

He was hardly trying! This is a serious horse! How many early retirees have we seen through the years that might have blossomed like this if given the chance?

honneerider

Sep-3

Those were my words-when the horses are allowed to race after their 3 yr old season and not rushed off to the shed, look what the fans can enjoy!  I surely loved Chrome when he returned  

Seems the mares stay around longer. 

RAESFAN

Sep-3

$$$$$$$$$ The money in the shed is there for the stallions! Even if the stud fee is 20k, and 50 mares are covered, that's a million bucks if my math is correct; no risk of a breakdown, no entrance fees, less maintenance, etcetera. Money driven; not a fan-centric industry, despite what they say!

zambito

Sep-3

A lot of van wagon jumpers are putting all their eggs in one basket on a horse that is 0-3 at the classic distance. While Collected is razor sharp right now and has the Pacific Classic at the distance on the BC classic host track. Not to mention that his trainer has won the last 3 BC Classics. Arrogate has soundly beaten him twice and even at 90% he is still better than GR. 

RAESFAN

Sep-4

It's not like he stunk it up in those 3 10f races. He was 2nd to Arrogate in Dubai, and 3rd in the Travers and Derby. Not too shabby a resume for a trio of Grade 1 races! No doubt Collected is a very nice horse, but I think Gun Runner is better than ever. I am still an Arrogate guy, and going forward to the Classic, GR is my biggest concern. The pace will have a lot to do with the outcome. It should set up well for Arrogate, because GR will not permit Collected to enjoy an easy lead. 

cubs.fan

Sep-7

Collected beat a shell of Arrogate's former self while waltzing on the lead. Gun Runner went toe-to-toe with him at his best. If you're looking for an alternative to GR in the BC Classic, I'd go elsewhere. Collected will need that conveyor belt at its best to win. Maybe Bob can pull out those bumper cars again. City Zip and Johannesburg will make their presence known against top, fit Classic distance company.

Outside of those two, Neolithic and Keen Ice are lengths better than anyone Collected has faced.

SeanL34

Sep-7

What is wrong with Arrogate? Is he injured?

sphenis

Sep-9

Baffert is giving him time to put weight back on.