Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Breeders' Cup is jumping the shark...   Breeders' Cup

Started 1/24/18 by TexSquared; 1298 views.
TexSquared

1/24/18

Some of these ideas are beyond belief.   First there's the new "Breeders' Cup Derby" so the 3-year-olds can duck the older horses one more time... then move the BC to December.... but save the Classic for another day a month later (so you'll decide the 2020 Horse of the Year in January 2021?)    Maybe the idea is, that way the BC Derby, Dirt Mile, Distaff, Mile, and Turf winners can have one big showdown?   Hell, just hold the Eclipse Awards that same day, and give the Horse of the Year trophy in the winner's circle after the Classic?

http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup-board-set-discuss-major-event-changes

I hope they don't do any of this stupidity.  If they want to move the whole thing to December, just means much more expensive to travel (as airfares especially get jacked up Dec-Jan due to holiday trips) but moving just the Classic?  Sorry, you don't play the first 50 minutes of the Super Bowl on one Sunday and the last 10 somewhere else a month later. 

Now if they're doing this to duck college football (which is killing them in the TV ratings), how will moving to December help?  Now you're in Bowl season as well as NFL playoffs... *shakes head*

I guess to make it really interesting, if they've already jumped so many sharks... let's run the Classic on New Year's Day... at SARATOGA.

• Edited January 24, 2018 5:31 pm  by  TexSquared
SameSteve G

1/24/18

In my opinion, Bobby Flay should stick to making guacamole even though he owns horses & has parlayed that into membership on the BC board.  

His proposal(s) make evident his ignorance.

TexSquared

1/24/18

Sounds like Walter "Gekko" Parker* has somehow gotten through to Flay. Because these ideas sound like the Gekkster wrote them...  especially when you start talking about TV ratings and trying to duck this event or that...

* well known troll all over the Bloodhorse and DRF comments; got his start spewing his nonsense on "The Derby List" which Cindy moderated for awhile

Edited to add: to call him a troll would be an insult to trolls that actually have skills, which he doesn't.  He just throws out all sorts of wacky ideas to see what sticks.  So far he's 0 for 100 in those ideas being implemented.

• Edited January 25, 2018 12:09 am  by  TexSquared
SameSteve G

1/24/18

That's amusing because I am familiar with the fellow you're talking about.  

It's like the old Abbot & Costello gag about Niagara Falls.  "Slowly I turn, step by step..."

Only in Gekko's case, the trigger phrase is "lights for night racing".   There's no stopping a Gekko spiel when he hears "lights".  

He must be in 7th heaven now that NYRA is going that route.  Probably also thinks he triggered them!

TexSquared

1/24/18

Trust me, Cindy and I have "known" of his crap for 20 years.   And he always has some dumb plan of running the Derby at night during the halftime of the NBA finals or some other playoff game.... as if basketball fans would all magically go online to TVG and pound thousands of dollars of bets into the pool.

Our friend in Maryland used to post a WallyWorld "checklist" of his usual 10 or 15 talking points (coded A through O or whatever) and then simply reply to his posts with the letters corresponding to which talking points Wally used. So the reply might be "B, A, G, L, C."

• Edited January 24, 2018 8:22 pm  by  TexSquared
SameSteve G

1/25/18

A very clever friend, indeed.

TexSquared

1/25/18

I haven't been following him (I have better things to do with my time than read every article on BH and DRF just so I can read the comments section) but off the top of my head here were his usual talking points from Derby List days:

1- Run the Derby at night between NBA playoff games

2- Fair Grounds will knock off Gulfstream as the winter track of choice for NY horsemen

3- All sorts of distance changes for the Breeders' Cup including running the Classic at 2 miles

4- Bringing back the Jockey Club Gold Cup to its original 2 mile distance

5- (back when it was still run on Memorial Day) use the Metropolitan Handicap as a prep for the Belmont Stakes

6- going on and on about the heavy rain at the 1995 Breeders' Cup

7- run Saratoga 7 days a week for 10 weeks

8- Christine Gabriel is the most intelligent talking head for horse racing and should be on every telecast

Do any of these sound familiar?

• Edited January 25, 2018 1:31 pm  by  TexSquared
SameSteve G

1/25/18

I consider myself fortunate, especially in light of how long you & Cindy were plagued, that only 3 out of 8 are familiar to me.

Lights for night racing is the big one for me.  I've seen his moniker pop up & the ensuing verbatim commentary whenever & where ever that topic is broached.

I've also been treated to, though not as much, to a soliloquy here & there about extending the Classic & the JCGC to 2 miles.  

The others, thankfully, no.  :)

TexSquared

1/25/18

He hasn't had an original idea in 20 years. He just copies and pastes the same stuff from him "master file" of pre-written BS.   

Wintertrian

1/28/18

I don't know the trolls and characters from DRF or Bloodhorse forums.....probably because I don't read there  LOL   

That guy sounds like a real PITA though.  

As for extending any race in the U.S. to 2 miles, I hope they figure on bringing over horses from elsewhere to make up the field.  Here, Belmont winners are practically shunned at stud.