Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Feb. 1st top 20 for the Derby   Triple Crown

Started Feb-1 by princeofdoc; 3081 views.
princeofdoc

Feb-1

I know we have 3 points races this weekend, but I think it's still good to stay on rhythm and predict on the 1st each month

1) Catholic Boy

2) Bolt D'oro

3) Instilled Regard

4) Principe Guilherme

5) Good Magic

6) Avery Island

7) Solomini

8) McKinzie

9) Sporting Chance

10) Copper Bullet

11) Enticed

12) Firenze Fire

13) Supreme Aura

14) Mourinho

15) Noble Indy

16) Mendelssohn

17) Tiz Mischief

18) Vino Rosso

19) Combatant

20) Audible

My list has most of the same from Jan.1st.  I did change the order a bit, depending upon the works.  For example, I dropped Solo down due to the worktab, and moved up Sporting Chance.  New include Copper Bullet (back on the work tab), as well as Instilled Regard (impressive races).  Longshot Supreme Aura could be good enough, and I dropped Mask off due to a set back.  Don't be shy, post your top 20!

RAESFAN

Feb-1

February Top Twenty:

1) Catholic Boy - Next start is the Sam Davis next week

2) Copper Bullet - Back working and may get two starts in Louisiana

3) Bolt d'Oro - Minor set back, but back on track

4) Audible - Big win in the Holy Bull this weekend

5) Good Magic -  Working towards 2018 debut

6) Principe Guilherme - 2nd in the Lecomte to Instilled Regard who would replace Greyvitos

7) Montauk - Worked 3f this week. May not start before March

8) Solomini - Hasn't worked in over a month.

9) McKinzie - Hasn't worked in two weeks. Does that mean something?

10) Strike Power - Impressive in the Swale this weekend. How far can he carry his speed?

11) Enticed - Was blocked along the rail, for a long time. I'll give him another.

12) Dak Attack - Disappointed in the Mucho Macho Man. Maybe the layoff got him.

13) Analyze It - Worked this weekend!

14) Firenze Fire - I'll give him an excuse off the layoff.

15) Mitole - Impressive maiden win at Oaklawn

16) King Humor - Fast sprint at Gulfstream from a horse bred to go long

17) World of Trouble - Impressive Pasco winner

18) Mourinho - MTR brood mare sire, so I want to see him do well

19) Mask - Hiccups at this point are never good

20) New Colossus - Stepping out on faith with this one. Starts Thursday at FG. By Curlin, out of an MTR mare

• Edited February 5, 2018 7:51 am  by  RAESFAN
sphenis

Feb-1

Bolt D’Oro

Good Magic

Instilled Regard

McKinzie

Sporting Chance

Solomini

Catholic Boy

Enticed

Tiz Mischief

Copper Bullet

Free Drop Billy

Mississippi

Principe Guilherme

Noble Indy

Bravazo

Mendelssohn

Marconi

Mourinho

Mask

Montauk

In reply toRe: msg 3
Wintertrian

Feb-4

I don't have 20, just keeping an eye on my local track at Oaklawn, I like this one so far:

Exclamation Point

smartyslew

Feb-4

bred for speed to carry it a distance of ground.

the dam throws runners out that win first time out and have multiple wins

and not a loser in the bunch. best runner is empire classic.

nice find i like it, who's the trainer?

Wintertrian

Feb-6

Yeah, a homebred, same breeder who bred Classic Empire....this one is his 1/2 brother.  Yeah that dam throws some nice horses.  

Trainer is Brad Cox, a solid G2-G3 type trainer----he had Arklow last year &  Carve in the BC Dirt Mile a few years back, as well as Dazzling Gem.  Right now he is top trainer at Oaklawn, 11-2-0 from 25 starters. 

Race was only 6F but their plan is for him to be a router, but he's getting a late start, since he had sore shins last Fall and the owners decided to let him rest to heal.  He's got a nice muscled up chest and big shoulders and looks powerful.  

In reply toRe: msg 6
Wintertrian

Feb-6

BTW, Lukas was down in the paddocks helping w/saddling horses last week.  Had not seen him around in quite a while.  I wagered on Aquamarine and lost my $$.  :(

He's got Sporting Chance, the winner of the Hopeful G1, working up a storm at Oaklawn, who will probably be in the Southwest Stakes. 

And anther named Hill Bent (Creative Cause), homebred from Calumet Farms. 

In reply toRe: msg 7
Wintertrian

Feb-6

also of note, Gary Stevens not riding so hot at OP so far.  He's down around 10th in jockey stats, Cabrera and Cohen are top 2 jocks right now. Doug O'Neil doing so-so at about 6th or 7th in trainer stats.    Brad Cox is even kicking Asmussen's butt so far.  

princeofdoc

Feb-6

Yes, I expect Sporting Chance to run in the Southwest...will be interested to see how he comes back....and handles two turns.

RAESFAN

Feb-6

Oaklawn may wind up being the most interesting path to the Derby this year. There are so many prospects out there, each of the remaining preps should be loaded. In addition to the ones that have been in stakes races already, and are going that route, there are several late bloomers that have run big at this meet. As Winter pointed out, Exclamation Point looks to have great potential, but he's not alone. Asmussen may have more Derby prospects this year than anyone. Last week, Title Ready and Mitole showed readiness to compete at higher levels. Needless to say, I'm thrilled to see so many More Than Readys performing at a high level, but I was more impressed with Mitole. It will be interesting to see how Asmussen handles this embarrassment of riches. It surely could ease the loss of Gun Runner.