Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Off the radar trainer you'd love to see   Triple Crown

Started Feb-24 by Wintertrian; 827 views.
Wintertrian

Feb-24

win a KY Derby?

My list is:

Helen Pitts (always felt she got robbed on the Curlin thing) and she was brilliant with Einstein who could run on ANY surface
Stanley Gold (loved Jackson Bend and Awesome Feather)
Brendan Walsh  - doesn't get the horses

TexSquared

Feb-25

Being from Canada I've got to cheer for Mark Casse .... I know he usually has a horse in the race but never one with a serious chance.   Would like to see him win with a horse that raced up here as a 2 year old...

If didn't list him I'd also have said Brendan Walsh, also Brad Cox and what the hell, Buff Bradley too :-)

SameSteve G

Feb-25

For the same hometown reason & even though he's no more "under the radar" than Casse is, I'd love to see Jimmy Jerkens have one good enough to win The Roses.  It would be satisfying on a couple of levels.  For all his myriad accomplishments, The Chief never won a KD & it would be fitting for his son to win one, IMO.  Secondly, as some here know already, I was classmates with The Chief's eldest son, Allen & was also a teammate in H.S. baseball & football.  On the personal level, it would be great to see Jimmy in the winner's circle.

Eoin Harty is another trainer who's been there with Naftzger & also had a good horse himself with Colonel John.  I have respect for Harty as a horseman & would like see him win a KD with a horse of his own.

Gerh

Feb-25

Would also love to see Stan Gold or Brendan Walsh win one.The other guy that comes to mind is Victor Carrasco jr .

Two are not off the radar that would be good to see are Dallas Stewart and Ian Wilkes

In reply toRe: msg 4
RAESFAN

Feb-25

I don't know if he's "under the radar" as much as unproven, but I want Jonathan Thomas to do well with Catholic Boy. He is a Pletcher protégé, but seems to have his own way of doing things. He, like Pletcher, does seem to like a lot of time between starts, and I get the feeling CB needs to run. His two best races have come after his shortest turnarounds. He won the With Anticipation and Remsen a month after his previous start, and suffered both losses after being off over two months. Hopefully, he will extablish his own style, and find great success in the future. He seems like a good guy.

In reply toRe: msg 4
SameSteve G

Feb-25

Ian Wilkes, yes, he was Naftzger's assistant.  Thanks.  Once again, my memory played a trick on me. Harty was with Baffert, not Carl.

TexSquared

Feb-25

I like your angle on assistants/offspring of famous trainers! 

We know that a lot of Lukas' old team have gone on (Pletcher being the best one, but there's also also McLaughlin and Stewart).   So far Baffert's old team haven't done quite as well yet, Eoin Harty of course, as well as Tim Yakteen, and Jimmy Barnes if he ever decided to go on his own (or if Baffert decides to retire).    Let's also not forget Bobby Frankel's protégé who looks well on his way to a Hall of Fame career himself, Chad Brown.  But he's anything but "under the radar"...

honneerider

Feb-25

Great thread and outstanding selections!

SameSteve G

Feb-25

This is pretty good.  Steve Haskin writes on the lineage of trainers & their assistants:

https://www.grayson-jockeyclub.org/newsimages/bigassist.pdf

I wonder if Bode Baffert will follow in his Dad's footsteps.  I mean, it appears he's being groomed for it.  Ever see that photo where the kid dressed up in a white wig & sunglasses met the press?  Amusing.

It certainly would be no surprise if one of the Asmussens picked up the reins.

Then, across the pond, the O'Briens come to mind.  if I remember correctly, the kid (Joseph) beat out Pops for the Melbourne Cup quite recently.  

smartyslew

Feb-25

linda rice and peter miller