Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Getting horses out of New Holland   General Discussions

Started 2/25/18 by Wintertrian; 528 views.
Wintertrian

2/25/18

hope it's okay to post this.  At the end of the day if I've made a little money, I try to toss a few bucks to people who are rescuing out of the kill pens.  This weekend they had a horse who had last raced at Delta just in January 13!  she tweets 'em out 2-3 days before their time is up.  Liek she says, even if you only send $1, it helps....it doesn't take a lot.  Usually the fee is less than $1,000 and keep in mind other people are sending in their $$'s, too.  Even if you are only ahead by 5 bucks, split it with these guys.  :) (and others like them).  
https://www.icareihelp.com/

honneerider

2/25/18

Have been following Dina onTwitter. Excellent at getting the word out and updates. Many of the jockeys are helping....not only TB's but some drafts and mustangs. Again, outstanding alerts and communication

Wintertrian

3/1/18

Yes she is very DEVOTED.   When I see that I always want to help.  And you are right about the mustangs.  They had a little one there in New Holland they got out....horse was just a *baby*.   Breaks your heart. Anyway, any time you can save just one....

In reply toRe: msg 3
Wintertrian

3/11/18

There's a video up now, 15 horses:    "7 of 'em straight off the track at Delta"  says the guy in the kill pen video. 

Video is about 5 down starting with "we still need about $7600....."

https://twitter.com/icareihelp

I post these things because I worry that so many horseplayers are blissfully unaware of this?   Do you think they are or just turn a blind eye?

I just can't  continue to happily wager making money off this carnage.   These horses carried jockeys on their backs, they WORKED and they deserve a retirment. 

And like so many rescuers ask:  Where are the BIG people????

In reply toRe: msg 4
Wintertrian

3/15/18

She just saved Lucky Pierre!

He was thrown into the kill pen only a week after racing at Delta on 3/2/2018.  

I guess many race horses are like paper towels.  Worse.  Toilet paper. 

The industry better start paying attention.  

honneerider

3/15/18

Delta is not making a good name for themselves! The 24 that just came from there and were rescued-one was severely injured and died on the way to freedom.

Delta makes a statement on their twitter feed that :

Wintertrian

3/15/18

I'm listening to the feed on blog radio right now...switchingleadshorseracingshow....the trainers will claim they had no idea and everyone will deny it.   There are horses in the kill pen with their racing plates still attached.  They are direct-shipped to Mexico --- many have just raced the week before.    

Racing horses is a PRIVILEDGE.   And should be treated as such. 

All this stuff is all over Twitter, Facebook, and tons of other social media. There are no suspensions going on for these trainers at Evangeline and Delta.  Why isn't the louisiana racing commission suspending  licenses? Aren't the board members a 
governing body?  (They probably get bonuses based on handle, right?)

30-something horses from Louisiana in 2-3 weeks.  This is not going away...People are talking about it. (Unfortunately, rescue orgs are taking more criticism than the tracks and trainers who ship to mexico.  Makes ya wonder, doesn't it?)

WE NEED A NATIONAL GOVERNING BODY for horse racing.     

This will probably be my last year of participating in racing....I mean, with my $$.   I will still go to the races to look at the beautiful horses, but I will not wager on any horses.  I can send my money to rescue orgs instead.  

This is no way to improve the game, nor get new people into horse racing. 

Wintertrian

3/22/18

She is tracing names, registration papers, etc.   Some of the stuff owners say sounds about what you'd expect:  "She wasn’t REALLY our racehorse ; we were just a paper owner and paper trainer”....

honneerider

3/22/18

Posting their Equibase profile with connections as of last start'

Some of these thoroughbreds went from track direct ship to slaughter with racing plates still on. Some have mutilated tattoos, some falling down lame/injured.

I want to know who at Delta is the point person overseeing who ships out and to where? Coggins needed to transport/health certificate if across state lines. Bet there is no paperwork

Wintertrian

3/24/18

Yes, it's dreadful the fate these horses suffer.   I can't bear to even read it.  Nobody is down there in mexico in the kill pens so they don't see it. 

Seriously, why not just HUMANELY euthanize these horses if they are unwanted, no homes, etc.   To die on the way to mexico, in the back of a hauler, to get bitten and kicked by other horses, to starve for days and dehydrate.....not to mention the terrible FEAR they must feel........WHY IS THIS OKAY????? WHY DO THEY HAVE TO SUFFER LIKE THIS??

Please tell me that *somebody* actually feels they have to make the very last $200 bucks off these lovely beings.....that owners/trainers/connections can't just spring for a vet bill to euthanize them?