Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

San Felipe today!   Triple Crown

Started 3/10/18 by princeofdoc; 738 views.
princeofdoc

3/10/18

Well, strangely enough, it's CA that has to deal with the weather today...so, who do you think goes forward in the slop at Santa Anita?  Who goes backward?  Ruis has been wishy-washy with Bolt, first saying he'll be scratched with an off track, then saying he'll run regardless.  Seems to me the horse needs to race, and it may be wet at CD in May....give him a shot!

Speaking of shots, I'll use Calexman....at least in the bottom of the exotics.  I think McKinzie goes forward on the wet track and wins this thing, love Street Sense when it's wet!

In reply toRe: msg 1
princeofdoc

3/10/18

Unfortunately, my long shot scratched.....may skip the race, but watching with interest.  Hoping Bolt can upset Mck!

In reply toRe: msg 2
princeofdoc

3/11/18

Both McK and Bolt were impressive to me today.....though Bolt looked stronger.  I think he goes forward from this race, wins the SA Derby, and goes into CD as one of the faves.  I have him at a short price in the futures, mostly as a break even bet (20-1), so I will be rooting for my real investments (Catholic Boy, Audible, Mendelssohn, Combatant, and Promises Fulfilled...all at triple digits).

McK may also improve off this race, interested in what the figures were awarded.....

SameSteve G

3/11/18

I watched the replay several times & nowhere in the stretch run did it appear that Bolt lost any momentum due to McK coming out.  In fact, it could be argued that when Bolt bumped McK that one lost momentum, causing Mike to get him straightened off the bump.

We've all seen far worse without a whistle.  In a race of this magnitude, my opinion is the stewards should have let it stand.  If they acknowledge a problem for Bolt in the stretch, then they should have acknowledged the bump & let the race alone.

I was impressed more by McKinzie overall from gate to wire, especially how determinedly he dug in when he came back after being headed & would not let Bolt get by.   

Gerh

3/11/18

To me,it was six of one,half a dozen of the other.Stewards should have stayed out of it.I thought Baffert made a great point about how long the decision took to make.According to him,this indicated they were unsure.I was impressed with both horses.Mckinzie would not let  Bolt get by but it was still a fantastic effort from the latter off the bench

chroses

3/11/18

I agree with you Steve

In reply toRe: msg 5
SameSteve G

3/11/18

Yes, very strong race by Bolt D'Oro.  I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  Castellano gave him a helluva right-handed whip strike even though Bolt was ranging up on his own & that's what caused Bolt to veer (away from the whip) into McK.  Castellano tattoo'd him with the right hand another 6 or 7 times & didn't get an ounce extra out of his horse who was already giving his all.  Not one of Javier's (who is highly skilled) finer moments, IMO.

It also looked to me like Smith wasn't aware of Bolt ranging up until he got collared.  If he had been aware (knowing he had horse under him)  he would have let McK out sooner & then there's no discussion in the Stew's room after the race.

Two real nice horses.

Gerh

3/11/18

Agree with your point about Javier.He is a great jock,but to be fair,he gets a lot of good horses.I really wished they would have left Nakatani on Bolt

RAESFAN

3/11/18

I saw it differently when I looked at the head on. It looked to me as if McKinzie came out due to his jocks left hand whipping, and leaned on Bolt. I agreed with the decision.

DogsUp

3/11/18

Top 2 world class jocks, 50 Derby points, ultimate winner bumped substantially, lost footing and ground.

Stewards called it correctly.