Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Dubai World Cup 2018   European Racing

Started 3/25/18 by TexSquared; 2174 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
TexSquared

3/26/18

If you want to watch Dubai Racing Channel's coverage go here:

http://oklivetv.com/dubai-racing-tv-live/

Starting about 11PM ET (7AM over there)  they show the morning workouts... I also find the local show to be better produced than what TVG shows us.

I've seen some other interesting programming in there (if you tune in randomly at other times of the day), including show jumping, endurance horse racing, camel racing (yes, with the robot jockeys), and falcon racing!

SameSteve G

3/26/18

Thanks for the link to that TV channel, Tex.   It's neat.  I was watching some endurance racing earlier this morning.  I found it quite interesting.

I'd like to catch some hawk racing, for sure.

princeofdoc

3/26/18

Do you know what time post time for the UAE Derby is?

TexSquared

3/26/18

UAE Derby is the 4th race, post time 9:30 AM ET (5:30PM local)

TexSquared

3/26/18

I knew you'd enjoy that!    Notice there are 2 streams and the programming doesn't seem to be consistent (sometimes Meydan in English will be on 2 while endurance racing in Arabic is on 1, or vice versa).

Falcon racing you'll see the guys walk out with their bird into the "start" area, let the bird go, and they time how long it takes for the bird to reach the prey.  Commentary in Arabic...

For those of you who don't have TVG, I find that Dubai Racing often simulcasts TVG during our prime time, and then switches to Australian racing.

-Tex

SameSteve G

3/26/18

Ah yes, Falcon racing.  Not hawk!   It's amazing how those endurance racers are accompanied by so many vehicles with guys hanging out the windows, banging the door panels & exhorting the riders.   And we think we got kickback?  :)

Yes, I noticed they have two feeds & I was surprised to see some TVG replay on one of them while a very slick advert for Dubai was running on the other channel. 

I always look forward to DWC day.

TexSquared

3/26/18

The camel racing is done much the same way -- there are roads on either side of the track with the trainers riding SUV's holding radios linked to the robot jockeys... so they can talk to their camel (via a speaker on the "jockey") and also press a button to activate the whip!

Speaking of slick advert, this has got to be one of the most "epic" station identification clips I have ever seen... you've probably seen it already but if not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNNgBTpeYms

SameSteve G

3/26/18

I never saw that clip.  An extravaganza.   

I was just watching a couple of minutes of an over the top presentation at the track with a huge cast of drummers, flag bearers, people on Segways rolling along in synchronized choreography while the gigantic video screen was displaying monumental graphics.  It's sensory overload.

No measures for the sheik.  Makes the Breeders Cup look like a country fair.