Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How common are twins?   General Discussions

Started 4/6/18 by Wintertrian; 178 views.
Wintertrian

4/6/18

There are 2 colts going in a race at charlestown tonight (not a track I follow ugh) who are twins by Denis of Cork out of Washingtonian.

Mr. Ping and Mr. Pong, and they are racing each other.  :)

Kinda neat, because the odds of them surviving, and actually getting to the racetrack as well, and then actually racing each other, is pretty slim. 

I found this rather delightful.  I hope they run 1-2. :)

RAESFAN

4/6/18

I read about them. One almost didn't make it. The article says that usually one or both are stillborn. One is significantly larger than the other. The "water carrier" has fought a gallant fight to make it to the track. I hope they do well.

The piece also said that the mother is so large, they didn't even know she was carrying twins. No sonograms showed it. I wonder what would have happened if they knew. Would they have allowed her to carry both, or would they have aborted one early on to increase the chances of the next?

honneerider

4/6/18

There's always next time. Loved the pre race enthusiasm and seeing history-even if the boys brought up the back of the field!

Wintertrian

4/7/18

being a twin myself, and coming out at a very low birthweight (this is before they had all those new fangled preemie wards) I had to root for them.