Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Meet the Milers   Handicapping

Started May-28 by Plus2lbs; 4090 views.
Plus2lbs

Jun-17

Have really been looking forward to the Poker Stakes (G3) today at Belmont.

Fantastic wagering event..

Father's Day 'capping for a winner.

Back later..

Oldbettowin

Jun-17

Oscar Performance looks pretty close to a single to me.

Plus2lbs

Jun-17

That's why they run the races..obviously a top contender from past performance, but on further review, I see some pause for concern and think he could be vulnerable.  I always liked the other Oscar, Oscar Nominated a bit more.

A very salty GR. 3 which has a few new shooters in the graded stakes class, a few competitive at this level, a few off layoffs, and a couple of state breds.

M/L fav, #3 Oscar Performance, highest speed figure last race when he led into the stretch of BC Turf and was swallowed whole by most of the field.  He was neglected on the board after a disappointing run before in the Turf Classic.  Might of been biting too much off distance wise and the cut back today could be preferred.  Has not come off layoff before, firing on all cylinders, but a steady workout tab of dirt and turf looks like he should be ready with no excuses.

#1 Force The Pass

M/L 5/1..I expect the odds too float up here.  Could end up been forgotten on the board and would not be surprised at double digits odds.  

Winner of listed stakes at MP,  1st off year layoff.  Has back class to compete here. Trainer Goldberg is an accomplished conditioner who knows horses.  Having trained this one's mare to an old and competitive age, this one deserves a look.

#2 Vulcans Forge

M/L 12/1..Pletcher and Johnny V...what's not too like about that.

Mostly raced on dirt, a few on turf.  Not accomplished on either surface.  High level allowance horse.  Pletcher seems to trying anything he can to get this one a graded score.  Puts JV up and maybe some more magic can happen..possible.

#3 Oscar Performance

M/L 5/2..Horse to beat, some say.  Beatable, says me.

#4 Ballagh Rocks

M/L 3/1..steady stream GR.1's, can't seem to break thru at that level. Connections

are very popular and can see his odds staying put.  Won this race last year...deeper field this year, me thinks, and lower placings is his ceiling.

#5 Made You Look

This MTR is one to keep an eye on, Imo. Switch trainers to Chad "NY Turf Stakes" Brown.  Besides BB, the "on fire" trainer in the country.  

Off his last race, win at track and distance, two ticks of course and WR, Brown seems to have a "Big Horse" in the making.

#6 Black Tide

M/L 15/1.. out classed here.  This NY bred will be part of the early pace..but nowhere at the finish.

#7 Voodoo Song

M/L 8/1…another NY bred, but has open class at this level.  3rd off a layoff coming off a win at shorter and fast pace.  Could be spotted just right by trainer Linda Rice, very underated but has fared well in region dominated by big names.

Would not surprise me.

#8 Fire Away

M/L 4/1..coming in off two race winning streak, this Phipp's home bred is going in the right direction, half-brother to Mr.Speaker, a millionaire turf performer,. Shug has this horse right and should be coming late to get another picture taken.

With all that being said, the only horse I put a line through is #6 Black Tide. Now all rush to the window and bet him to win. LOL.

Be back with my "look" later.

Plus2lbs

Jun-17

New course record in turf Sprint 106.74..flying.

I'm expecting a fast pace in this GR 3 today, and possibly a record.

Lots of speed and the break is of utmost importance for my pick.

I'm expecting a thrilling stretch duel with a blanket finish..I'm getting real excited.

Hope it's not a let down.

• Edited June 17, 2018 3:01 pm  by  Plus2lbs
Oldbettowin

Jun-17

Good comments, but I must have missed your pick?

Plus2lbs

Jun-17

Personnally, I like to wait and see post parade at least..I have my idea of who my pick will be, just like to see the board .

Race is so salty..need all my pointers.

• Edited June 17, 2018 4:01 pm  by  Plus2lbs
Oldbettowin

Jun-17

When I can I like to see them too.  I can never tell much from the paddock but once they're on the track I like to see them "hugging" the outrider's horse, with their head over their neck, maybe nipping at them a bit--seems like that's usually a sign that they're ready to run a good race.  

Plus2lbs

Jun-17

I'm usually looking at the legs.

Don't know about the "hugging and nipping" post parade angle.

Trainer of my throw out, #6 Black Tide, just won stakes at Monmouth, 7/1.

• Edited June 17, 2018 4:57 pm  by  Plus2lbs
Plus2lbs

Jun-17

Well opening odds are where I thought they would be..now if the race unfolds how I suspect..could be a good day.

I'm expecting a quick break, being on the inside I would like to see #1 Force the Pass, "force the issue".  I think Lezcano can keep him in touch and hold off the deep closers.

Father's Day win for Papa Goldberg, trainer of this colt and also  trained the momma.

Threats in the lane come from 2,7,8, just will be holding my breath down the lane.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's..let's get this one home..

odds floated up..11/1 10 MTP

• Edited June 17, 2018 5:45 pm  by  Plus2lbs
Plus2lbs

Jun-17

You had it..

And a course record.

Race was over when the outside speed cleared.  Not what I had hoped.

Time to start grilling..

• Edited June 17, 2018 6:05 pm  by  Plus2lbs