Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are 20 too many?   Triple Crown

Started May-5 by GoForGin; 2758 views.
TexSquared

May-7

That's kind of what I was getting at.  20 unproven 3-year-olds in those unfriendly confines is not a good thing.  It's amazing we haven't had a multi-horse spill.  We came damn close in 2008 though.  Eight Belles tragically broke down during the runout.  Had she broken down at the 1/8 pole that would have been the NASCAR "big one". 

PISTOL9

May-7

They at least need to get rid of that auxiliary gate.  Looking at that start, same thing happened as has the last two years.  The only thing that saved them is Master Fencer was slow out of the gate.   I  have said this before, they make enough money they can make a special gate just for the Derby, getting rid of that, and helping the inside post a bit more.  It would make for a more fair start, relative to 20 horses coming out of there.

kzoofan

May-7

zambito said:

The number 7 horse was alone in the front and had the entire track to himself. War of Will was coming to his right to attempt a move. When Maximum Security veered there were 3 horses to his right for a total of 4 horses involved in the incident.

Truth.

While I agree that 20 is probably too many for this race, I don't see how the numbers impacted Saturday's interferences & near falls. 

Gerh

May-7

It was a blessing that WoW got to leave from post 2.

In reply toRe: msg 18
Wintertrian

May-7

So  the industry has the PERFECT opportunity to lower the field to 14 or so now. 

Perfect timing.  

Will they do it?   I would not bet on it.   Their ability to be proactive, about anything, is totally non existent. 

ChiefsCrown

May-8

GFG....

Nope, i always maintained 20 are too many. 14 would be fine and it gets the auxillary gate out. The thing is this is a money driven sport so having 14 might have an effect on the purse handle.

Tough enough to 'cap an 8 horse field let alone 20 on the mud!!

ChiefsCrown

May-8

Winter....

Good points!! Especially the comparison between Justify and Winx.

DogsUp

May-8

All

IMHO less than 20, say 14

Less breeding/less foal population

Less put in auction

More home breds kept

Less people getting into racing ownership

Auction prices would go down

Derby attraction for general population*,  and perhaps world wide would deminish

* Not the infield

Handle and advertising would diminish

Preakness and Belmont Stakes would be devalued on many fronts

Cause a lot of yawning

ChiefsCrown

May-8

Uhhhh....i'm guessing.....you're thinking, 14's too few from that post??