Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are 20 too many?   Triple Crown

Started May-5 by GoForGin; 2743 views.
kzoofan

May-7

zambito said:

The number 7 horse was alone in the front and had the entire track to himself. War of Will was coming to his right to attempt a move. When Maximum Security veered there were 3 horses to his right for a total of 4 horses involved in the incident.

Truth.

While I agree that 20 is probably too many for this race, I don't see how the numbers impacted Saturday's interferences & near falls. 

Gerh

May-7

It was a blessing that WoW got to leave from post 2.

In reply toRe: msg 18
Wintertrian

May-7

So  the industry has the PERFECT opportunity to lower the field to 14 or so now. 

Perfect timing.  

Will they do it?   I would not bet on it.   Their ability to be proactive, about anything, is totally non existent. 

ChiefsCrown

May-8

GFG....

Nope, i always maintained 20 are too many. 14 would be fine and it gets the auxillary gate out. The thing is this is a money driven sport so having 14 might have an effect on the purse handle.

Tough enough to 'cap an 8 horse field let alone 20 on the mud!!

ChiefsCrown

May-8

Winter....

Good points!! Especially the comparison between Justify and Winx.

DogsUp

May-8

All

IMHO less than 20, say 14

Less breeding/less foal population

Less put in auction

More home breds kept

Less people getting into racing ownership

Auction prices would go down

Derby attraction for general population*,  and perhaps world wide would deminish

* Not the infield

Handle and advertising would diminish

Preakness and Belmont Stakes would be devalued on many fronts

Cause a lot of yawning

ChiefsCrown

May-8

Uhhhh....i'm guessing.....you're thinking, 14's too few from that post??

Wintertrian

May-8

DogsUp said...

Cause a lot of yawning

Better than horror.   I wince at the start of EVERY Ky Derby, not about who is going to win but that everyone comes home safe.  I don't like chaos nor do I like demolition derby type events.

I was at Oaklawn watching when Eight Belles went down.  I had to run out into the parking lot to throw up.  I get sick when I see stuff like that.  Larry jones and everyone in that barn was shell shocked and emotionally stricken for quite a number of years after that.  

RAESFAN

May-9

I admit that I still get giddy on Derby Day, especially right before the race. However, I am also anxious about particularly, the cavalry charge around the first turn. I was reminded Saturday that the danger is not limited to that portion of the race. Yes, in my opinion, 20 is too many!