Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

More fatalities! What Now?   General Discussions

Started May-21 by RAESFAN; 2733 views.
Gerh

Jun-24

Don’t feel bad for Hollendorfer.He always struck me as a smug SOB.The guy can be downright rude when being interviewed.Now that they have gone this far,Maybe they could look at a view more super trainers.

I am really not surprised about Justify.When he was running he looked like Conan the Barbarian.Now I guess he looks like modern day Schwarzenegger 

In reply toRe: msg 13
Wintertrian

Jun-25

Yeah, I remember Mickey Rourke's outstanding performance in The Wrestler. 

Life after steroids and performance enhancing drugs is not pleasant, whether you be beast or human. 

Lately, the way things have been going in U.S. racing (for 20+ years actually but the full effect had not dawned on me to the extent it has now) I was thinking about reincarnation, and started to squirm at the thought of coming back as a thoroughbred racehorse under this system, with all but a very small handful of trainers.  

That was a rather sad and disturbing thought, once I examined it.   

TexSquared

Jun-27

I'm sure you read this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/26/sports/santa-anita-horse-deaths.html

The punchline is right at the end... uh, maybe you shouldn't have taken them out in the first place?

Ms. Stronach also said that she would consider switching back to a synthetic track. In 2009, the last time horses at Santa Anita competed for a full year on a synthetic track, the fatality rate was .9 per 1,000 starts, compared with 2.27 per 1,000 starts in 2017.

“The numbers don’t lie,” Ms. Stronach said.

zowcownow

Jun-29

2008 - Betting The breeders cup at Santa Anita with its pro-ride synthetic track was hard.  2009 was even harder.  Yuck.....

• Edited June 29, 2019 1:28 am  by  zowcownow
Wintertrian

Jul-1

No Tex, I didn't read the NYT article.  It always tells me that my limit for reading w/out a subscription has happened. :)  

As for the track I don't know if "the track" is the only problem or if it's a combination of things. 

Oaklawn has 3x as much rain in any given year, in 2018 we had 71.41 inches in 2018.  That's a whole lot.    I imagine that when they put in the dirt track they had proper engineering .... sort of like when you have  septic tank installed, you get perk tests and then make sure water is going to filter properly thru all the carefully designed "layers" designed specifically for that piece of land.   I suspect something wasn't done right at SA with the underlyament or SOMETHING.   I'm not an engineer. 

And/or

Watching the Hollendorfer thing unfold, whatever info that SA passed on to NYRA that made them reverse their decision on letting JH have barns/stall in NY must have been very damaging.   We won't know until necropsies and those will be tied up in investigations or court. So figure, htat means *never*.     6 deaths and all the broken bones.....Galilean no works since AR Derby, gunmetal grey and instagrand bone injuries, ..and many suspect that when necropsies are released it might be bad news.

(like biophosphonates)   Or it may also be that SA is forcing trainers to run horses to fill races when the horses should be staying in the barn.

Dr. Arthur and Dr.Bramlage have already written extensively on these drugs, and their side effects in horses, so I won't repeat it here.  Basically on xrays it looks like bone has filled in but the exact opposite has happened......osteoclasts are inhibited and so the bone is not filling in at all, it's becoming more like a dead tree trunk since cells can no longer replace themselves.

At any rate, there is no transparency at all.....nobody knows, because we are not being told the reasons for anything.  

One thing I know for sure:   I'm just not desperate enough for entertainment that I want to see horses harmed in the process.  Certainly not in numbers that don't make sense. 

In reply toRe: msg 16
PISTOL9

Jul-1

Will Call had a heart attack after the race at CD.  It was a very hot day for CD.    Another horse I jinxed, put him in the tri..   I was skeptical wondering how the heat would affect the horses.  Can't be good being on Lasix and running in the high heat.

TexSquared

Jul-2

Drugs and dirt tracks.  Get rid of both and kill fewer horses. So simple but it'll never happen:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/horse-racing/2019/07/01/horse-racing-deaths-could-lessened-with-artificial-racetracks/1579341001/

Trainer Michael Dickinson, whose synthetic Tapeta tracks are in place at Golden Gate Fields, Presque Isle Downs and Canada's Woodbine, compares dirt tracks to improvised explosive devices.

“It blows up in your face without any warning,” he said. “Dirt racing can’t conduct without a load of fatalities and a shed load of drugs. Those are two things that the public won’t put up with.”

Gerh

Jul-2

“A simplistic solution to a complex problem” said Beyer.Kind Of like using his figures for handicapping.

It is ironic that Belmont,while being one of the safest dirt tracks never gets into the Breeders Cup discussion.

In reply toRe: msg 20
TexSquared

Jul-2

The solution is not "do nothing and hope it goes away". Tried that, and look where we are...

In reply toRe: msg 20
Wintertrian

Jul-3

Good point about Belmont never getting into BC conversations.   Maybe explain why you think that is. 

On the Andy thing, keeping in mind that people like andy beyer, talking heads, race track personalities and racing personages pretty much have a reason to support the 'status quo' because otherwise they can't be significant anymore.   (Andy:  the way, the truth, the light.....once somebody says this about their own work, you can't really take them seriously anymore.... I mean, it's the stuff that cults are made of).    His meltdown about the derby on the day of the Preakness made me wonder if he still had all his marbles. 

Some of these people are *highly reactive* types,  the opposite brain type that produces *proactive* people. 

Moral to story:  don't expect proactive behavior from reactive type people, esp. not if they are holding on for dear life.  Gotta look elsewhere for positive changes to our sport.   But......its taking too long.  Way too long.  In the meantime, people who were once passionate horse racing fans are walking away from U.S. racing.