Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

More fatalities! What Now?   General Discussions

Started May-21 by RAESFAN; 1520 views.
RAESFAN

Jun-3

What I find most puzzling is the kind of injuries. I remember when I was a less educated fan of the game, I became familiar with words like "sesamoid", "condylar", "suspensory ligaments", and "cannon bones". These were the common areas where injuries occurred. At SA recently I heard of one horse with a shoulder injury, another with a hip injury. One doctor said that the problem is that we don't have the technology available to properly diagnose pre-existing issues, and that most injuries come from over stress of certain body parts. If that's true, then how come an unraced three year old was one of the victims? The doctor was eager to volunteer that medications are not the likely culprits. Sounds like someone eager to exonerate the human actors in this mess.

In reply toRe: msg 7
Wintertrian

Jun-7

Death #27 at Santa Anita -- Derby River --- euthanized.  

Close the track already

GamblingMel

Jun-7

The Thoroughbred-racing industry sends an estimated 10,000 horses to slaughter annually, meaning that half of the 20,000 new foals born each year will eventually be killed for their flesh.  How do you feel about that?   Maybe the entire sport should be shut down, why stop at Santa Anita?   

Wintertrian

Jun-8

GamblingMel said...

How do you feel about that? 

I've said many times how I feel.   You are never here for those conversations because you only peek in during TC season.  :) 

I'll be glad to tell you, link you to my posts, or you can just ask the *regulars* here who know my sentiments---we talk about all kinds of stuff year round here.  But not a conversation I'm wanting to have the day of the Belmont Stakes.  Thanks.

Gerh

Jun-22

Now up to 30 and Stronach has banned Jerry Hollendorfer from its tracks.I guess they were not satisfied with his compliance with the new safety protocols

In reply toRe: msg 11
PISTOL9

Jun-24

They teased that in the news, mentioning ahll of famer suspended.  Watch in hopes it was someone else.   They have to be drastic as they don't want the BC moved.  I've heard the decision on where the BC will be is the end of this week and it is pretty much a certainty it will be SA.  This latest incident happened after I heard that other news.

Another thing I heard, someone was mentioning seeing Justify at the farm after he was moved to stallion.  They said he looked really bad from all the drugs coming out of his system that they had pumped into him. 

Gerh

Jun-24

Don’t feel bad for Hollendorfer.He always struck me as a smug SOB.The guy can be downright rude when being interviewed.Now that they have gone this far,Maybe they could look at a view more super trainers.

I am really not surprised about Justify.When he was running he looked like Conan the Barbarian.Now I guess he looks like modern day Schwarzenegger 

In reply toRe: msg 13
Wintertrian

Jun-25

Yeah, I remember Mickey Rourke's outstanding performance in The Wrestler. 

Life after steroids and performance enhancing drugs is not pleasant, whether you be beast or human. 

Lately, the way things have been going in U.S. racing (for 20+ years actually but the full effect had not dawned on me to the extent it has now) I was thinking about reincarnation, and started to squirm at the thought of coming back as a thoroughbred racehorse under this system, with all but a very small handful of trainers.  

That was a rather sad and disturbing thought, once I examined it.   

TexSquared

Jun-27

I'm sure you read this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/26/sports/santa-anita-horse-deaths.html

The punchline is right at the end... uh, maybe you shouldn't have taken them out in the first place?

Ms. Stronach also said that she would consider switching back to a synthetic track. In 2009, the last time horses at Santa Anita competed for a full year on a synthetic track, the fatality rate was .9 per 1,000 starts, compared with 2.27 per 1,000 starts in 2017.

“The numbers don’t lie,” Ms. Stronach said.

zowcownow

Jun-29

2008 - Betting The breeders cup at Santa Anita with its pro-ride synthetic track was hard.  2009 was even harder.  Yuck.....

• Edited June 29, 2019 1:28 am  by  zowcownow