Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Justify failed drug test in SA derby   General Discussions

Started 9/11/19 by beachwood; 2334 views.
In reply toRe: msg 15
Wintertrian

9/13/19

I truly hope Ruiz and others pursue legal action because in a court of law, evidence is investigated and the press releases from former CHRB boys club and people who Baffert trained horses for, won't be acceptable.  :)  

I want to see a full investigation from independents on ALL of this.   All of it. 

And I would be glad to start a Go Fund Me page for Ruiz or anyone else, too. 

In reply toRe: msg 16
Wintertrian

9/13/19

Because, if Ruiz or nobody else brings a lawsuit, we will just be snowballed with press releases from the very insiders and good ol ' boys who protect baffert and have had their horses trained by him.  

In a court of law, evidence is provided and investigated.  Press releases aren't evidence.  

Even the hay provider will have to be deposed.    

KEEP THE PRESSURE ON so this doesn't go away. From what i understand, the chrb violated the Brown Act.....the AG needs to get involved.  Call and write the AG and support reporters to stay on this .   I

In reply toRe: msg 17
Wintertrian

9/13/19

I have pharmacological information.  
I can post it later.  The amount of contamination that justify tested at was 3x the threshold.  The amount of plant matter he would have had to injest to reach those levels (because there are studies as to what actually constitutes "environmental contamination in feed") would be enormous.   

So enormous that it would have required any medical director or board to put out an immediate and  widespread notice to every barn at the track, that's how severe the contamination would have to have been.    

Msg 1316.19 deleted
In reply toRe: msg 18
Wintertrian

9/14/19

I'm not going to comment further.   I decided that most of the people writing about this are either trying to protect their interests and/or are not scientists or experts in the field of testing, or independent attorneys, etc.

Instead of being seen as a vehicle of change, i.e. a chance to bring more transparency and thus save our sport, most commentary is biased and has a lot more to do with people loving/hating either the NYTimes, Baffert, Stronach, California, CHRB, and any number of other trainers/places/publications, etc.

I've even seen it reepresented as a democrat/republican/liberals/conservatives spin.:)  

Until something happens, like a lawsuit, where actual evidence can be presented and experts testify, absolutely nothing will happen.  (except more *spin*). 

One of the questions has been did the whistleblower do this to save racing, or further hurt it?   My feeling is they did it to save racing.

Unfortunately, instead of being a come-to-jesus moment where genuine and real improvements can be shaped and implemented, racing will just do it's usual "nothing to see here" and continue to issue press releases with misleading stuff in them.  And most racing fans in the US don't want to give up their gambling habit so it's not a hill they want to die on......when racing goes away it will just sizzle out little by little like an un-cared for plant.  

Msg 1316.21 deleted
Gerh

9/14/19

I was a little skeptical of the contamination story when I saw he had 3 times the threshold.To be honest,my immediate reaction was “how much did he eat”

In reply toRe: msg 22
Wintertrian

9/14/19

Yeah but then baffert said something about "thats what you get when you bed on straw" or something like that,

then Dr. Arthur was saying stuff about blood tests amounts were low and urine was high and that nobody should trust urine and how it would be irresponsible  to do so.........

Yet the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities residue thresholds on which all tested is based, uses nonograms per millileter in URINE!!!!!!!

(not plasma because it has such a short half-life most likely) 

At any rate, this really all needs a very serious investigation and not in the court of public opinion and wanky press releases IMHO   this isn't about personal biases toward Baffert, CHRB, the NYtimes,  etc.  ........

Independent equine pharmacologists need to do a full and detailed autopsy on all the results and samples and figure out what is what and that requires a special investigation because this is a very serious matter, whether people realize it or not.  

Until that is done no talk of DQ, titles, etc. can be made, we must have facts and analysis by scientists who know this stuff, understand test results, and can also explain to the public what a clean test is as opposed to passing a test is, because they are not the same, etc.   

Gerh

9/15/19

Great points as always Winter.I just hope there are samples available to analyze.I wouldn’t be surprised if they were destroyed

In reply toRe: msg 24
Wintertrian

9/15/19

Gerh said...

just hope there are samples available to analyze.I wouldn’t be surprised if they were destroyed

oh dear.  don't even say that. 

$60 million in stud fees alone here.  Not to mention so many other awards and monies.   And possible hall of fame down the road.  

Serious stuff. 

It just goes on and on like this.  FB had another major security breach of phone numbers.  400+ million users.   No judge does a thing to  Zuckerberg ......one of my friends pointed out to my naive self that  Masters of the Universe don't get bothered....only time Masters of the Universe get in trouble is if they rip off OTHER  MOTUs, i.e. Bernie Madoff, the Pharma Dude.

Guess racing is the same.