Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Justify failed drug test in SA derby   General Discussions

Started 9/11/19 by beachwood; 2407 views.
In reply toRe: msg 26
Wintertrian

9/15/19

Gerh said...

People were very quick to say that an asterisk should be put next to Country House’s Derby win.It will be interesting to see what these people say if this isn’t investigated properly 

Country House won by default due to a disqual.  And when it comes time for the breeding shed, that will be reflected HONESTLY because that information is in the public record.

That is very different than people paying $150K to breed Justify to their mares ----  and that his high positive test in the SA Derby was an infraction and represented a banned substance and was covered up!
How would ya feel if you just spent $150K to breed to Justify and didn't know this?

You think Winstar didn't know about the test when they sold the breeding rights?    Smart people. 

Gerh

9/15/19

“How would ya feel if you just spent $150k to breed to Justify and didn’t know this”

That’s easy-I wouldn’t breed to Justify for any amount.Justify’s physique has been discussed here with a certain amount of skepticism.If I had $150k to breed to a stallion,I would take my money to Europe.

In reply toRe: msg 28
Wintertrian

9/15/19

Gerh said...

“How would ya feel if you just spent $150k to breed to Justify and didn’t know this”

That’s easy-I wouldn’t breed to Justify for any amount.Justify’s physique has been discussed here with a certain amount of skepticism.If I had $150k to breed to a stallion,I would take my money to Europe.

I wonder how Coolmore is handling this news?  they paid $60 million......I wonder if they will get any cancellations on matings and such?

Gerh

9/15/19

I have no sympathy for Coolmore.can only think that their greed won out over common sense.These guys are experts in their field yet this horse raised no red flags

smartyslew

9/15/19

I would breed to Run Happy(drug free) before many of the high profile stallions of today.

coolmore got their 60 million back some time ago. 3 matings a day during mating season.

Gerh

9/15/19

Sea the Stars costs about the same as Justify while Golden Horn is considerably cheaper.

In reply toRe: msg 32
Wintertrian

9/16/19

Wasn't Ron Ellis banned from entering any horses into the 2017 BC races due to a posiitve for a trace amount of banned substance when his horse ran 2nd the year before?

Will baffert be allowed to have horses in the  BC races?  (since they are always bragging about integrity, etc. )

In reply toRe: msg 28
PISTOL9

9/16/19

I've told people for the last 8 years I would not breed to any horse trained by Baffert.  He has been making them run further than their pedigree appears to be suited.

Not surprised by the news, sort of glad the veil may be coming off, but still looks like many still trying to brush things under the rug.  I've seen reports of 3-5 times the legal amount and that to get that, it is not just simple contamination of feed.   Has it been reported who were the other horses who tested over, how much they were over, and were a lot of them top tier horses?    Now makes me wonder even more about the standard "pointing" to a race phrase.   Also possibly shows why training and racing has changed as they mentioned they should not be over trained or worked.  So it is not the training, but lack of training and why they do not race as much.  The messenger is also tainted it has been obvious from past articles that guy is out to take racing down, but does not change the underlying facts.

And speaking of Runhappy, I was sick of all the Runhappy stuff on Travers day, then saw it heavily at Kentucky Downs.  Just how much money are they making on that horse?  That is another I would not breed to. 

Wintertrian

9/16/19

PISTOL9 said...

Has it been reported who were the other horses who tested over, how much they were over, and were a lot of them top tier horses?   

A good question.  Another one I had was for his TC races, was justify tested for that same substance?  I'ts not a stupid question.   We don't know what all they test for and don't test for.  I think this would be important but we are not getting any answers.

Agree about the messenger........the point is that the only value that article really had was that it uncovered a fraud/cover-up.   Nobody, not even baffert's lawyers or the CHRB really "contested" anything that was said in the article.  Drape isn't a scientist, and he isn't a horse trainer.  His job was to just "put it out there" ....... and it turned out that there WAS something under the rug.  ;) 

This isn't about who won a race.  This is about a cover up and fraud has been committed, and also a huge level of conflict of interest (people on the board have horses trained by baffert; baffert was given special treatment, etc. ) . 

Gerh

9/16/19

Interesting to note that the 2 horses in Baffert’s barn who have “underachieved”(Coliseum and Garth) are both Godolphin homebreds.We know Sheikh Mo’s opinion of drugs in racing