Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Kentucky Derby 2020 DogsUp Diary   Triple Crown

Started 2/3/20 by DogsUp; 23749 views.
Gerh

May-27

Must be the jimsonweed again

smartyslew

May-27

yeah laced with hydroxychloroquine.

Gerh

May-27

Supposedly tested positive for lidocaine.

DogsUp

May-27

Actually the runners

were not wearing their shadow roll protective masks and not obeying 6 ft apart rule.

Gerh

May-28

Never good to see a horse racing with a nerve blocker.I don’t know how this could be deemed safe,in fact,it seems totally reckless

In reply toRe: msg 1
DogsUp

May-28

Albeit 9 furlongs and NY breds not taking a lion's share of the Belmont Stakes race at the long ball distance; add now the NY bred Tiz the Law comes from same Sakatoga stable as did Funny Cide who is the only NY bred and a gelding to win The Derby and won his Preakness. Lost Belmont TC chance.The Dogs' paw scraps a hard math and a feel that it is the connections/ colt nemesis race in reverse order. 

I envision this probable favorite sailing smoothly (dry track) down the stretch, when he starts looking around at new comers (and jocks who know every path and grain of the big sandy) ...then no crowd noise to take his head out of equine compadres watching. And..this is purely handicapping. Numbers, stats and feel. Not jinx stuff or ill will.

The owners are an outstanding credit to the game. The colt as a stud and NY bred.  Hallelujah. Connections are deserving to be blessed with stud fees.

And yet it is the year of no crowd noise, where, perhaps, they-be' rousting a runner's audio senses.

The Diary will pen this the Howdy Doody effect. And crowd noise can go either way for runner, depends.

"Let's give a rousing cheer, cause Howdy Doody's here." 

• Edited May 28, 2020 9:48 pm  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 1
DogsUp

May-28

Nadal - colt I feared out with sustaining season injury

Wintertrian

May-29

Gerh said...

Never good to see a horse racing with a nerve blocker.I don’t know how this could be deemed safe,in fact,it seems totally reckless

You are correct, it is a nerve blocker.  And anesthesia

I'm unclear why a healthy horse not nursing an injury would need this??.  But I only have experience with this drug as a human. 

Since I cannot take NSAIDS for my nerve pain with inflamed arthritis joints, my doctor will get me lidocaine. Topical.  I had it for shingles, and when my arthritic knees or back go out 

When I apply, it has a definite numbing effect, as any local anesthetic would. First the area feels warm, and then it gets numb. I've also used the patch.... it works by causing a temporary loss of feeling in the area where you apply it.

One of the warnings for the TOPICAL kind says this medication passes into breast milk. And to not to drink any alcohol. So I assume that this topical drug is absorbed by the body and may enter the bloodstream.

I never use it when I am "well". 

I have had it at dentist, and I know the injectible kind is used to t
reat heart rhythm problems. When used as a local anesthetic, lidocaine is injected through the skin directly into the body area to be numbed.

Again I am unclear as to how or why this would be used in a "healthy" animal. 

Gerh

May-29

I have also used the patches for shoulder problems but never found them to be very effective.I think they contain about 4% lidocaine.It will be interesting to see the results of the split sample