Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rebel Stakes March 13 Oaklawn Park   Triple Crown

Started 3/11/21 by Wintertrian; 3301 views.
TexSquared

3/13/21

What Mike Smith did in Saudi Arabia last year was nothing compared to what this guy did today.  

princeofdoc

3/13/21

What kind of a ride did Geroux bring to Caddo?  A monster hold down the backstretch, just let the colt run!  And then in the stretch, came out badly against Big Lake, knocked him and subsequently Get Her Number off stride, just as they were both getting going.....terrible ride.

Big Lake was most impressive, showed grit after the foul.....ran on, almost grabbed 2nd.  He may have a future in the Ark Derby

DogsUp

3/13/21

Joel looked like a show-up hit man jockey, collect $60K for the smooth ride; racing against bug boys looking for their maiden win.

In reply toRe: msg 10
Wintertrian

3/13/21

If you followed smartyslew's post about weights, you had the superfecta and trifecta, all the low weights on a ticket was the winner and paid well despite the chalk winning. 

Best race of the day was watching Carlos L. at 12F take them gate to wire, longest shot on the board, and he broke as track record doing it.  I can watch that race forever.  I wish we had more 12F races in the U.S.   Bet he will sleep  well tonight. 

TERRIBLE ride on Caddo River.  OP plays to speed at this distance, it was not the time to try to "teach" the horse to rate.  And he restrained the horse more than one time.......it was painful to watch.  PAINFUL.  

As was Vazquez beating on Rated R Superstar, who is a horse I really like. 

WHen they announced Whitmore was running in bar shoes on BOTH feet, I figured he was beatable.   He's 7 years old now, trainer has done a great job keeping him together, but maybe it's time.........the amount of joy that horse has given to me since he ran in the KY Derby way back in 2016 where he came in 2nd to last is unmeasurable.  Clearly one of the best "oaklawn horses" ever.  But he's run a lot of races, and most of them stakes:

39 15 12 3
Wintertrian

3/13/21

TexSquared said...

What Mike Smith did in Saudi Arabia last year was nothing compared to what this guy did today.  

what was the horse, I forgot.

We need stiff fines for this behavior. 

Wintertrian

3/13/21

Agree about Big Lake..  I almost played him first.......

smartyslew

3/13/21

Vazquez was a Jewel.

Concert Tour E speed number 105, last race 7F 106, MDN win 100.
he's in my Pedigree group of 8 to be a top contender for the Derby.
was before the race.

2-3-5 raced on lasix in last..

smartyslew

3/13/21

39-15-12-3 is that his race record ?

He didn't disgrace himself today !

Wintertrian

3/13/21

smartyslew said...

39-15-12-3 is that his race record ?

He didn't disgrace himself today !

Yes that is Whitmore's record!!!   But even more impressive, out of 39 races (as of today)  24 of them were GRADED Stakes races.  And 6 of them were Stakes Listed races.   

Other than that, he only ran 1 MSW and 3 allowance races.  In his whole career!

WHITMORE is one of the truly great working race horses you will come across, we are all huge fans of his for a long time now. His MSW was back in 2015.  

One of reasons I started following him was because his sire is Pleasantly Perfect.....one of my all time favorite horses and what Mandella did with him.    if you ever get a chance to watch the documentary of Mandella training him and other horses up to the BC races, its a behind the scenes look, I mean probably the best documentary I've ever seen where you really get to go behind the scenes. (On The Muscle: Portrait Of A Thoroughbred Racing Stable)   I mean, Mandella is LAYING DOWN in the straw with Pleasantly Perfect, it's just an unbelievable movie.  Shows Mandella preparing 6 of his well known horses........I want to be buried with this documentary in my hands, I am not kidding. Pleasantly Perfect, The Tin Man, Redattore, Kudos, Ile de France, and Brisquette. The video culminates with Mandella's unprecedented four-win day at the 2003 Breeders' Cup World Championships at Santa Anita.

Pleasantly Perfect record: 

18 9 3 2

I need to buy more copies of this.  It's amazing how much his horses trusted him.   This man is a genius. 

RAESFAN

3/13/21

I wasn’t particularly impressed with the Rebel, but Concert Tour did win without being asked. The other horses were underwhelming.