Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

UAE Derby   Triple Crown

Started 3/26/21 by SameSteve G; 2410 views.
princeofdoc

3/31/21

I think the Covid protocols makes this an especially difficult year for foreign horses to compete in the Derby.  I was certainly impressed with the race, but I also think this was a weaker field than in the past too.  Not saying he couldn't hit the board, but I would be surprised.

This weekend's races should show us a lot about the main contenders, so I may feel differently after :)

RAESFAN

4/1/21

When it comes to the “who did they beat” argument, I am always careful. If a horse loses a lot of ground in a race, and still runs fast time, I don’t think the performance is a function of its competition. The point to me, is that the horse ran well beyond 9.5f, and did it fast. He wasn’t a loose on the lead horse that faced no pressure, and saved ground all the way around. I don’t know what better horses could have done to keep him from running the time he did, or could have run faster than he did. Some performances are all about the horse itself, and I think that was one. He is bred to legitimately get a distance of ground. At Classic distances, the stretch out sprinters that often contest the TC races in our country, would be up against it, facing a horse like this, in my opinion. At 9f and under, not so much, but in these three races, he could be a real player at a good price!

smartyslew

4/1/21

Yes, 

If he is coming here ,Learn from the past and come real early, like today, don't wait until race week.

Get acclimated to North America, don't take the starch out of him. I agree with your observation

Of the race and to me the connections know what they have and executed it and I don't know

if they knew how strong the field was. They knew what they have and where they should be at

every pole and ran their race plan.

smartyslew

4/1/21

Crowded Trade is sitting in 20th place with 20 pts, not counting the Europe or Japanese winners

coming in.  There is 4 ahead of him on the list that need 10 or 20 pts to get over 40 pts

Proxy 34,Medina Spirit 34, Obesos 25, Hidden 22, If he ends up in 3rd =40 pts total

I didn't check to see where he would sit with those tied with 40 pts, better hope right behind

Essential Quality's 40 if he stubs his toe. Might have to come back in the Ark or Lexington.

SameSteve G

4/1/21

smartyslew said:

If he is coming here ,Learn from the past and come real early, like today, don't wait until race week.

That would be smart but I don't see it.

RAESFAN

4/1/21

CT will put all that to rest with a 1st or 2nd place finish.

Wintertrian

4/7/21

RAESFAN said...

We like to look at horses sired by the likes of Curlin and AP Indy as the "run all day" types, both racing 12f once in their lives. If you look back through RR's first four generations, you'll find at least a dozen Grade or Group 1 12f races. I think that he'll not only run all day, but he won't take all day to do it either. 

Well that's great, nothing would make me happier.  I already had my heart broken by Thunder Snow, Mendelssohn, Mutjaahib, Lani and Lines of Battle.    Then, I finally "get off them" and now we have one who might could bring it.   LOL 

But part of my point is, as you say, these are 12f-13f horses in his background.  They don't run like the glorified 9Fers we have here. (that's not meant to be an insult)     Baffert isn't training his horses like 12F-ers.   Nobody does here.   I just think those 12F-ers need some ground to get going, by the time they get to that point there are 3 ahead of them who are used to the way we race here.  I keep trying to get that thru my skull after wagering 12F types in the KY Derby, which year after year seems to be my *downfall*.   

Gerh

4/7/21

Rebel’s Romance will not run in the derby per Bloodhorse.He will instead be pointed towards the Belmont

In reply toRe: msg 27
Wintertrian

4/7/21

Gerh said...

Rebel’s Romance will not run in the derby per Bloodhorse.He will instead be pointed towards the Belmont

Yay!!!!

I am already imagining The Belmont with Rock Your World, Rombauer, Rebel's Romance, Essential Quality and ........well, maybe Bourbonic, Hidden Agenda and OBesos.  Should be the best race of the whole TC.  

Do you think Greatest Honour will run in it? I suppose not.  Shug must be gutted.  He kept saying "distance is his friend."  :( 

Gerh

4/7/21

Looks like Greatest Honour will be out for at least 2 months.I guess Shug is hoping to have him back for Saratoga