Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Found my Belmont/Preak-Creative Minister   Triple Crown

Started 3/7/22 by Wintertrian; 4340 views.
In reply toRe: msg 26
Wintertrian

Jun-16

McPeek said that Creative Minister just did not handle the deep track and will look for a better spot for him come summer.   

I imagine the Belmont can be any number of problems for horses, both a deep track, the 1-1/2 mi distance, etc.  

Congrats to Mo Donegal though.   He managed.   This is probably silly but I look over their bodies but faces, too, believe it or not it "helps" me.   As I posted before the race, Mo Don, that face, very handsome and regal to my eye.  Skippy sort of looks like his name, for instance.   I dunno, I think some horses just have a certain eye/nose/face that I like. 

sovereign1

Jun-16

Wintertrian said:

This is probably silly but I look over their bodies but faces, too, believe it or not it "helps" me.   As I posted before the race, Mo Don, that face, very handsome and regal to my eye.  Skippy sort of looks like his name, for instance.   I dunno, I think some horses just have a certain eye/nose/face that I like. 

I know what you mean. It was Rock of Gibraltar for me.

Gerh

Jun-17

I think McPeek should have read the title to the thread.Creative Minister could have used the 5 weeks,might have been better to skip the Preakness.

In reply toRe: msg 29
Wintertrian

Jun-19

Gerh said...

I think McPeek should have read the title to the thread.Creative Minister could have used the 5 weeks,might have been better to skip the Preakness.

I actually think it wouldn't have mattered, he had trouble with the deep surface at BEL, which I'm not sure more rest would have fixed.    I think the distance might have been a tad too long for him when combined with that deep surface.  If it were Churchill he may have done better at 1-1/4 but he started late so wasn't ready to run in the Derby.   He did have more speed than stamina in his profile to begin with.    Looking back I think they supplemented him to Preakness because they probably thought he would run ITM there and he did.   Although 5th in the Belmont isn't so bad.  

Wintertrian

Jun-19

sovereign1 said...

I know what you mean. It was Rock of Gibraltar for me.

I can definitely see why!

A truly amazing runner as well.   And then, that name.  What a regal name.