Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Time to go Zero Tolerance   General Discussions

Started 3/29/22 by Wintertrian; 2144 views.
smartyslew

May-10

The first 6 finishers are Lasix free in every race, of course we don't know if they use lasix in their works.

I would like to see it in all 2 yr old and 3 yr old races in the next step to get rid of lasix like somebody said baby steps

why do top trainers have 2 yr olds race with lasix in their 1st race or 1st 2 races and other 2 yr olds  without lasix .

I suggest we start asking them and get it out in the open, Why. are some bleeders , it could be used to mask something

else. I hear a trainer say I race with Lasix because everybody else does, what B.S. So it is used for Performance enhancing right !

use it to level the playing field is what I hear. Most of the rest of the World are Lasix free, I'm not saying drug free ,Lasix free !

I listed the 7 runners who have  raced with lasix on the 2021 2's thread and  that is easier to count then the 13 who have

never raced with lasix in any race. I'll be watching the Preakness  to see who is entered.

DogsUpWired

May-10

All

One of the reasons for Lasix 48 hours before race is the diuretic eliminates body fluids and runner carries less water weight 

smartyslew

May-10

I remember you saying that years ago. 
I have never heard a trainer say that for the reason, have you,

Do you think in the 1700's they used Alfalfa for that, it's a diuretic , makes them pee a lot.

DogsUpWired

May-11

On the trainer part, agree they don't talk about anything drug related  

Media interviewers know they would never get another interview if they asked about animal drugs; or...the qualities of another horse in the race.

We do always; as usual, see that trainers will give the life is good about the horse, owners, jockey, barn dog;  back side concession's coffee.

*Baffert exception recently. Big Time!

As to Lasix for respiratory relief in the race... I have mentioned it's first administration intent was 'technically' get the horse to "pee pee lots to get him back to racing off the layoff. More quickly. Rid water weight.

The respiratory aid was discovered *consequentially. (who says Dogs talks code)

The Lasix is exactly the same as that prescribed to humans for edema.

Your alfalfa mention for race horses for edema in earlier times seems likely; and I recently read that dandelions and coffee promote:) pee pee. 

But the racing industry wants drug that act fast and hard. Not extracts of natural organics.  See next thread.

In reply toRe: msg 24
DogsUpWired

May-11

The side effects of Lasix...negative are too numerous to mention...animals + humans.

So how much weight does a horse lose with treatment? You might be surprised. Researchers found that when feed, hay and water were withheld for 4 hours, untreated horses lost an average of 9 pounds. Horses treated with 150mg (3cc) furosemide lost 28 pounds, those treated with 250mg (5cc) lost 31.5 pounds and those treated with 500mg (10cc) lost 32 pounds.

twoshots

May-11

I don’t have any direct knowledge of horses, but they sweat a lot. Thus I think having them in a dehydrated state going into a big effort of a race could be quite harmful.

smartyslew

May-11

This is a good response Dogs, Thanks, your last line says a lot and The Who of The Racing Industry needs to be 

shaken out of the tree and identified  and its time to debate them imo.

smartyslew

May-11

that is terrible !

smartyslew

May-11

What's the best way to recover from this ,or best treatment . 

Anybody know.

BTW Horses Sweat, Men Perspire, Ladies Glow !

DogsUpWired

May-11

This medication may cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.  serious side effects: muscle cramps, weakness, unusual tiredness, confusion, severe dizziness, fainting, drowsiness, unusual dry mouth/thirst, nausea, vomiting, fast/irregular heartbeat.

Yet millions of humans take it..

But horses before maximum exercertion.

Perhaps kidney damage/failure is the highest risk.

Cheaper tag races IMO use the diaretic to run the horse weighing like 32 pounds less. And before coming to track on layoff use L to shed water weight gain of say 5%