Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Time to go Zero Tolerance   General Discussions

Started 3/29/22 by Wintertrian; 2358 views.
In reply toRe: msg 24
DogsUpWired

5/11/22

The side effects of Lasix...negative are too numerous to mention...animals + humans.

So how much weight does a horse lose with treatment? You might be surprised. Researchers found that when feed, hay and water were withheld for 4 hours, untreated horses lost an average of 9 pounds. Horses treated with 150mg (3cc) furosemide lost 28 pounds, those treated with 250mg (5cc) lost 31.5 pounds and those treated with 500mg (10cc) lost 32 pounds.

twoshots

5/11/22

I don’t have any direct knowledge of horses, but they sweat a lot. Thus I think having them in a dehydrated state going into a big effort of a race could be quite harmful.

smartyslew

5/11/22

This is a good response Dogs, Thanks, your last line says a lot and The Who of The Racing Industry needs to be 

shaken out of the tree and identified  and its time to debate them imo.

smartyslew

5/11/22

that is terrible !

smartyslew

5/11/22

What's the best way to recover from this ,or best treatment . 

Anybody know.

BTW Horses Sweat, Men Perspire, Ladies Glow !

DogsUpWired

5/11/22

This medication may cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.  serious side effects: muscle cramps, weakness, unusual tiredness, confusion, severe dizziness, fainting, drowsiness, unusual dry mouth/thirst, nausea, vomiting, fast/irregular heartbeat.

Yet millions of humans take it..

But horses before maximum exercertion.

Perhaps kidney damage/failure is the highest risk.

Cheaper tag races IMO use the diaretic to run the horse weighing like 32 pounds less. And before coming to track on layoff use L to shed water weight gain of say 5%

Gerh

5/11/22

It also effects calcium levels in the body increasing the possibility of fractures

In reply toRe: msg 31
DogsUpWired

5/11/22

Releases potassium..a big deal.

And as mentioned the low level claiming tracks may have a horse off for 9 months and Lasix 100-150 lbs of water out of horse

Oldbettowin

5/11/22

Dat would be a lot of water.

Every time I read that a horse has suddenly succumbed to colic I wonder if they were on Lasix and/or Bute long term.

pianot

5/11/22

Yes indeed, just would some instant test so betting folks arent immediately screwed. Not sure how it would work but those are the folks who got burnt with a three month later decision. How do we fix that? We loose followers if it keeps happening.