Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Time to go Zero Tolerance   General Discussions

Started 3/29/22 by Wintertrian; 2358 views.
smartyslew

5/11/22

This is a good response Dogs, Thanks, your last line says a lot and The Who of The Racing Industry needs to be 

shaken out of the tree and identified  and its time to debate them imo.

smartyslew

5/11/22

that is terrible !

smartyslew

5/11/22

What's the best way to recover from this ,or best treatment . 

Anybody know.

BTW Horses Sweat, Men Perspire, Ladies Glow !

DogsUpWired

5/11/22

This medication may cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.  serious side effects: muscle cramps, weakness, unusual tiredness, confusion, severe dizziness, fainting, drowsiness, unusual dry mouth/thirst, nausea, vomiting, fast/irregular heartbeat.

Yet millions of humans take it..

But horses before maximum exercertion.

Perhaps kidney damage/failure is the highest risk.

Cheaper tag races IMO use the diaretic to run the horse weighing like 32 pounds less. And before coming to track on layoff use L to shed water weight gain of say 5%

Gerh

5/11/22

It also effects calcium levels in the body increasing the possibility of fractures

In reply toRe: msg 31
DogsUpWired

5/11/22

Releases potassium..a big deal.

And as mentioned the low level claiming tracks may have a horse off for 9 months and Lasix 100-150 lbs of water out of horse

Oldbettowin

5/11/22

Dat would be a lot of water.

Every time I read that a horse has suddenly succumbed to colic I wonder if they were on Lasix and/or Bute long term.

pianot

5/11/22

Yes indeed, just would some instant test so betting folks arent immediately screwed. Not sure how it would work but those are the folks who got burnt with a three month later decision. How do we fix that? We loose followers if it keeps happening.

Wintertrian

5/14/22

twoshots said...

Thus I think having them in a dehydrated state going into a big effort of a race could be quite harmful.

Big Brown.  Belmont.  Hottest day of the year in history.  (do you guys rememmber the heat?)  He was deprived of all his meds as well as his electrolytes.   He was kicking down the walls of his shed that day, which we didn't know about until after the race. 

I think we should send human marathoners out under the same situation then question why they're not "champions".  And also make them run on half of a foot in the bargain. 

I can't apologize enough to Big Brown.  I'm sorry he had to go thru all that, cuz he was and is a true champion.