Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Lasix substitute   General Discussions

Started Apr-30 by Wintertrian; 453 views.
Wintertrian

Apr-30

Remember when I said it will do no good to ban lasix, because our horsemen are addicted to drugging up horses? 

Well, here's the latest subsitute, not FDA approved, so should not be given to any horses, and Wayne Potts just got banned from NYRA as they found it in his barn. 

Of course the company claims it is not a "drug"....it's a biologic, like stem cells would be.   hahahahaha

"With the inevitable removal of Lasix from U.S. horse racing and without a viable alternative horses are going to continue bleeding and the severity of that bleeding is going to increase. It is the horses that are going to suffer..."

And of course:  "Regarding the recent suspension of Mr. Wayne Potts, ReCellerate would like to clarify that our product was never sold to Mr. Potts nor do we have any affiliation with him. Furthermore, the New York Racing Association suspended Mr. Potts without knowledge of the product and has made no effort to contact us for information about EquiFlow™."

Um, no.   It's continuing to breed and race bleeders that will make the horses suffer!!
And, we should not be *experimenting" on horses, living sentient creature, with drugs that are not even FDA approved. 

https://www.recellerate.com/new-page

SameSteve G

Apr-30

Wintertrian said:

"With the inevitable removal of Lasix from U.S. horse racing and without a viable alternative horses are going to continue bleeding and the severity of that bleeding is going to increase. It is the horses that are going to suffer..."

For clarity, this is not a Winter quote but from a Recellerate spokesperson which I clipped from Winter's post.  An excellent post, I might add.

So, using that logic, the international jurisdictions which run without Lasix and do not use substitutes are animal abusers.  What a load of rubbish.   The European, Japanese and Aussie trainers have learned how to manage their bleeders without the lasix crutch because they have never had the crutch to lean on in the first place.  It starts with superior conditioning and much better conditions for the horses to live in.  They spend the time and money to keep them fit and to make the air they breathe as free from toxic particulates as possible.

Just like Bill Casner does here in the US.  If the US trainers wanted to get lessons on how to run Lasix free, they could go to Bill and he would teach them.

Gerh

Apr-30

With all the talk about the necessity of lasix ,I find it strange that there hasn’t been any talk of horses bleeding in the derby preps

In reply toRe: msg 3
princeofdoc

Apr-30

Excellent point......perhaps it's not news to post in the notes "No horses bled in this race"?

Msg 1983.5 deleted
Wintertrian

May-2

SameSteve G said...

he European, Japanese and Aussie trainers have learned how to manage their bleeders without the lasix crutch because they have never had the crutch to lean on in the first place.  It starts with superior conditioning and much better conditions for the horses to live in.  They spend the time and money to keep them fit and to make the air they breathe as free from toxic particulates as possible.

Yes, as Gai Waterhouse HOF trainer said.  "it just requires good horsemanship."   

I don't think she could have said things more simply.  

And yes, I posted the article and the quote from the company because I have long said that another "drug" will be found, injectable or otherwise introduced thru a nebulizer, to subsitute for Lasix, for the bleeders that shouldn't be on the race track in the first place, let alone sent to the breeding shed.    Its a viscious circle.