Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What were you right about & wrong about   Triple Crown

Started May-8 by Wintertrian; 3726 views.
In reply toRe: msg 50
Wintertrian

May-16

If Sonny Leon was riding Epicenter he would have won.  IMHO, it wasn't a freak horse, it was a very talented rider.  He took that horse over to the rail right from the get go, and then filled-in-the-open-areas every single chance he got.  It was masterful.   And go look at the race again, pretty sure that Rosario never got Epicenter to get on the correct lead coming around the turn.   Rich Strike wasn't a freak, the jockey was. 

Rosario:  1 for 11 in the KY Derby.   

I kinda felt bad for Asmussen, he sure had the goods with Gun Runner and now with Epicenter.  Must be a huge disappointment to have the horse and not win this thing for once! 

Anyway, subject change:   I can't figure out why Epicenter is running in the Preakness.  Instead of the Belmont?   (That would solve my suspicion that he may not be a 1-1/4+ horse).   I am thinking Asmussen knows he can't win the Belmont.   I guess we'll see if he's even entered in that race.  I suspect he won't be.  Asmussen is good at races like the Preakness though.  He runs those kinds of races at Oaklawn all meet, his bread-and-butter type of race.   Yet, Asmussen has only won the Preakness with Curlin in 2007 and Rachel in 2009.    

Also have to wonder what the hay he's doing with Morello, who seems like he'd be good for the Preakness.  Ges away fast from the gate, races on or near the lead, seems like the perfect "Cloud Computing" )except he won the Gotham instead of placing and did worse in the Wood than Cloud Computing did when he ran it.)   (I really like Morello).   

Anyway.....JCGC, Woodward, Arkansas Derby though, bet Asmussen.  He's killer in those races.  

Gerh

May-16

“If Sonny Leon was riding Epicenter he would have won”

That’s pure conjecture.If Sonny Leon is so good,How come Epicenter hammered him in the Gun Runner?

Gerh

May-16

Morello missed the derby through injury.Can’t see him being anywhere near fit enough to run in the Preakness.

In reply toRe: msg 55
Oldbettowin

May-16

Anyone else notice that Epicenter is now listed as an E/P5?

In reply toRe: msg 55
Wintertrian

May-16

Gerh said...

Morello missed the derby through injury.Can’t see him being anywhere near fit enough to run in the Preakness.

Oh right.....thanks for reminding me of that, Gerh.   Too many defections floating around in my brain.

I do like him so much, he would  have been so perfect here.  

Wintertrian

May-16

Oldbettowin said...

Anyone else notice that Epicenter is now listed as an E/P5?

I've noticed that Brisnet changes running styles of horses quite often and people don't catch it.  That has always bothered me!   Good catch.  

In reply toRe: msg 54
Wintertrian

May-16

Gerh said...

That’s pure conjecture

Admittedly, yes, it is pure conjecture.   

But supposedly the best jockey on the best horse for that race. 

Joel is 1 for 11 in the KY Derby though.   He's certainly not Calvin Borel, Cordero, Hartack, Shoemaker, or Arcaro.  He's not even Gary Stevens or Desormeaux, actually.   So I will continue to think he's not as great as many think he is.  Conjecture or not.  :) 

Gerh

May-16

I am not a big fan of Rosario.Generally,I find him to be too inconsistent.When he is on his game he is good.The 1 for 11 doesn’t bother me.It seemed to take Johnny V forever to win one.

In reply toRe: msg 60
cubs.fan

May-17

I'm also of the opinion that Rosario moved a little early midway through the final turn. 

Rosario has been historically bad out of the gate in the Derby, however. Take a look at the race charts. Some of it can be attributed to his off-the-pace mounts. Rock Your World broke terribly and Epicenter was a little slow out of the gate, but that probably helped his trip.

smartyslew

May-17

I have noticed many of there classifications are wrong to begin with for young horses.

If a young horse wires the field and 6f time is 1.10+, 1.11,1.12, 1.13  ,even the 1.13 winner is Classified E, or EP

Then look at early last race, and Late last race and check the Classification of the list. Sometimes number one

early was 3rd in the 1.11 race with a P classification ,yet number one early in last race as one example. etc