Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rich Strike's "TEAM" and groom   Triple Crown

Started May-9 by Wintertrian; 2070 views.
TexSquared

May-10

I thought Brittney Eurton was very emotional when her dad Peter won a Breeders' Cup race while she worked on the NBC broadcast team. 

Reed's daughter topped that reaction bigtime!  Thing is the Eurton barn wins graded stakes all the time.  Not so with the Reeds.  So this was much bigger.

Not only was it Sonny Leon's first Derby win it was also his first graded stakes win.  Even more amazing.  Kudos to the owner and trainer for letting him keep the ride despite this, he got them there he deserved a chance.

SameSteve G

May-10

Sonny Leon engineered one of the best Derby rides, ever.  In one of the interviews post-race, I had a good laugh when he said to himself as he was retelling it, " I GOT HORSE"  Must be a great feeling.

It had to be Leon.  If they had pulled him off and given the horse to a "top rider", with the way Rich Strike runs, I don't see the winning outcome arise.

The two of them, horse and rider, were sync'd up.

Reed's daughter..."ninth would be good..."   LOL

DogsUpWired

May-10

This is it!  When Dogs goes it's a jockeys race..The Kdy Derby..means that put 20 horses together and the Skill sets of the 20 jockeys plays out. More importantly. 

The other 19 knew what they had to do...winning jockey knew better...

As Willie Shoemaker said: Get there first.

Enjoyed that daughter comment...sweet. Probably went to the window and asked for a 9th bet and the teller switched her to go Win..

PISTOL9

May-12

I just saw where Rich Strike is skipping the Preakness and aiming for the Belmont.  Very smart move.  I was thinking they should do that and hoped they did.  Trainer said they mapped out race with 5 week intervals, so Preakness would have gone against that routine.  Not to say that it does not favor him as most closer who won the KD don't repeat in the Preakness.  Good for them.

SameSteve G

May-12

PISTOL9 said:

Very smart move. 

I agree.  How can I put it?  The horse and rider took the connections to the mountaintop already by winning the KD.   Now, they are repaying the horse by putting his welfare first.  It's very refreshing.  The calculus doesn't add up for a TC run in their world.  Love it.

Win, lose or draw in the Belmont, these people send out good vibes and I appreciate it.

DogsUpWired

May-12

Yikes ....I'm definitely the contrarian  here. Not of the opinion that the Big Sandy - Belmont Race course, 1+1/2 mile oval and race and NYRA jockey colony home court sets up well.

Save the Dogie Boos five weeks out.

And if a no show = 2 atta Dogs.

Keen Ice pappy and this colt retiring off Derby stud value. Losses forwardly and no more board hits....

SameSteve G

May-12

To each his own, Dogs.

DogsUpWired

May-12

I'll send you a bucket of steam clams, calamari and dandilion salad if he wins..9 horse field min

To each his Roan

Enjoy the summer

pianot

May-12

First, thought it was refreshing for them to bypass. Second, agree not sure the belmont is his wheelhouse, but I get it.

SameSteve G

May-12

To clarify.  I'm glad they are skipping the Preakness for the horse's sake.  Nowhere did I say that I thought Rich Strike will win The Belmont.

In fact, he will be over bet, become a huge underlay which disqualifies him from a win bet.

Calamari, steamers...mmm-mmm-mmm  Arugula salad.