Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Plus Only Forum   Premium Forums

Started Jun-20 by NanDee; 856 views.
NanDee

Jun-20

Hi everyone - I've just signed up today and upgraded to Delphi Plus.

I hope I've put this in the correct folder.

I haven't created a forum just yet - but apparently I can create either a Normal Forum or a Plus - Only Forum (which I assume is a 'Premium Forum) .

What does the Plus - Only forum have that the Normal Forum doesn't have please ? 

Or- does Plus Only mean that only Plus Members can enter ?

Thank You in advance relaxed

In reply toRe: msg 1
Cstar1
Staff

Jun-20

Welcome!

As a Plus member, any forum you create will automatically be a Premium Forum. That means it has all the bells and whistles we offer. 

http://www.delphiforums.com/forumfeatures.ptt

There ARE Plus only forums - a special category where only other Plus members can enter, but to be honest, no one uses that category.

In reply toRe: msg 1
gunter

Jun-20

Removed your duplicate discussion in Service, you should be able to post without moderation now in both forums.

let us know how it goes ...

In reply toRe: msg 2
NanDee

Jun-20

Thank you very much Cstar relaxed

A couple of other questions

1- The first forum I'm creating is going to be just a 'test' forum me to use for trying out designs seeing how things work. Is it possible to make the forum 'Private' - how do I do it and can it be 'switched' between private and open if and when required ?

2- I've been reading a lot of posts regarding Classic v Zeta and it's my understanding that Zeta is going to replace Classic - not sure though whether it already has or if there is still a choice, though I seem to recall seeing something about Classic no longer being updated - or something like that. Could you please clarify as I feel there is no point creating a Classic if it's shortly to be killed off.

Thank you again :)

In reply toRe: msg 3
NanDee

Jun-20

Thank you Gunter relaxed

So sorry to have posted in both places - but I thought I'd posted in the wrong place when it didn't show. It was only after it didn't show in either forum and I went searching about that I found some post regarding 'Moderation'. 

Once I have my forum up - I know now to post here with any issues regarding it. relaxed

In reply toRe: msg 4
gunter

Jun-20

DelphiPlus Hosts have the option to switch between Public and Private. A!so note you can have as many forums as you like, keep one for practice for instance.

Classic is not about to be killed off,  we expect it to be here for  much time yet.

In reply toRe: msg 6
NanDee

Jun-20

Thank you Gunter - that's great relaxed

In reply toRe: msg 7
Glen (GEAATL)

Jun-20

Suggestions:

1. Since you can (if a plus member) do private forums, open both a classic and zeta forum and see which you prefer. I've tested both in live forums.  Personally I like Classic better, but there are some things only one can do that the other cannot.  For one example, Zeta embeds more site's videos than Classic and has Live Stories.   There are some commands in classic that still don't exist in Zeta's controls and you have more theme tools.  There are many other differences.  You can switch a forum from either format to the other.
  2. Once you get comfortable,open your forum, and promote it.   You'll find many promo tips in:   Promoting your forum across the internet  and Hosts run 10 promos. Run 20.
  3. Look at  Kidmagnet's great thread What Makes a Great Host So Great?    and Cperrault's  Habits Of Highly Ineffective Hosts.
NanDee

Jun-21

Thank you GEAATL relaxed

I do actually intend to create another forum anyway as my current one is only a 'test' forum for my personal use.. I did revert my current Zeta back to Classic to compare and noticed the extra design options and some of the other differences. To be honest - appearance wise - I do prefer Zeta, though I admit I haven't actually tried doing anything with the Classic. It's a shame Zeta doesn't have the same design flexibility. Anyway, at the moment I'm still undecided which to go - but am thinking that if Zeta is going to eventually take over from Classic - perhaps I should stick with that one. 

EmmaGx (EMMAGX1)

Jul-14

To be honest - appearance wise - I do prefer Zeta, though I admit I haven't actually tried doing anything with the Classic. It's a shame Zeta doesn't have the same design flexibility. Anyway, at the moment I'm still undecided which to go - but am thinking that if Zeta is going to eventually take over from Classic - perhaps I should stick with that one.

If you're interested in design, I'd definitely recommend Classic ... Classic will be around forever, it's too good a forum format, and too many of us adore it for Delphi to kill it off! ... there's plenty you can do with Classic Delphi to make it look the way you want it to look! ... my Theme Workshop forum looks entirely different from DF Hosts! ... and other themed classic forums look very different again! x