Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

can't access my messages in new forum   Basic Help for Hosts

Started Aug-24 by KATHY_OAK; 705 views.
KATHY_OAK

Aug-24

I was trying to create a new forum today, and got it all screwed up, apparently.  First, it came up in Zeta, which I didn't want, so I somehow ended up with one new forum in Zeta and one in Classic, and my Classic one says I have 15 messages in there, which I know I do because I posted them there, but I can't access them because it says there are "No Discussions."  No anything.  My "Start Page" in "Classic" shows up okay, but the Zeta one wouldn't allow me to change the "Start Page" from what was already there when I started which included a quote from Shakespeare and other things I didn't want there.. 

I have it set up to be "Private" right now.

Anyway, I want to keep this new forum.  I need to keep it.  It's important to me to have its name and my webtag stay what it is, so I don't want to delete the forum and start over.  Please help!

It's http://delphiforums.com/OrganDonorStory

gunter

Aug-24

You can switch the forum to Classic - it's in the center of the Controls panel towards, scroll down.

In reply toRe: msg 2
KATHY_OAK

Aug-24

That was another part of the problem because when I went to the Zeta one, it said "this forum is in Classic mode" (or words to that effect) even as it was showing up as Zeta. 

I'll go there again.  If I'm slow to respond next time it's because I am sole caregiver for my 92-year-old with Alzheimer's and I'll be busy with her for a while.

In reply toRe: msg 3
KATHY_OAK

Aug-24

I just went there now, and even though the Start Page is Zeta, it says "This forum is running in Classic mode" (or words to that effect) and gives me the option to upgrade to Zeta.

gunter

Aug-24

The page may be stuck in browser memory.  Try using the link on your MyForums page or the star all the way top right here to see your forum list and click there.

If that doesn't do it, log out in between changes or close the browser when it gets confused like that. 

let us know how it geos ...

In reply toRe: msg 5
KATHY_OAK

Aug-24

Well, my messages are showing up now, but they're  in the wrong forum.  I wish I would've paid more attention to what I was doing.  I don't even know how to explain what I think happened, but I might end up dumping everything and starting over.  By that I mean, closing both forums and starting from scratch with a different name, webtag, etc.. 

I really think the problem stems from me starting a similar forum four years ago or so, and then I got involved with another project and didn't go back to it, and then I lost track of what I already did, and now I have two forums with the same name.

The forum that was showing in Zeta is the one I wanted to use , but it still says that the forum is already running in Classic mode even though it's not--at least not the Start page.

I don't have time to be confused about this.  I have my hands full taking care of mom.  (Delphi forums is my only form of escape these days.)

Do you have any advice about closing out forums that I might need to know?  Will I have any problems  creating a new forum if I come up with an entirely new name and webtag?

Kathy I'm one of the host mentors volunteering on Delphi.

Can I help you set up your forum and once it's the way you want I can show you how to delete me so I no longer have access? 

KATHY_OAK

Aug-24

What exactly do you have access to?  Are you able to access messages?  I mean, I intend to make my new forum "public" as soon as it's ready, but I still have almost 200 messages to post first.    I already have people waiting to access it, which is why I was trying to do it today. 

That said, I have two forums both with the same title, and I don't know if I want either one of them anymore because the one that's up and running in "Classic" mode (which is the mode I want to use) is messed up with deleted messages, and the other one  that's stuck in Zeta mode (or whatever the problem is) has the webtag I wanted to use. 

Either way, one of them is going to have to be deleted.  That's why I I wondered which one you're referring to.

The one that is stuck in Zeta mode is new so that's the one to go with. 

The start page probably just has the Zeta message, which can be changed. However Classic Start pages cannot be edited with IE. You can use Firefox or Chrome or try other browsers. 

I only offered to help because you mentioned caring for someone and getting frustrated with the forums.  

KATHY_OAK

Aug-24

Yeah, I understood that you just wanted to help, so thanks for that!  If you can do it so that I can use it, go for it!   As for me, I'm done for the day as far as anything I'm gonna' do with it. 

Do you need me to stick around to do anything to help from my end?

Also, what I meant when I asked what you were accessing, it wasn't that I have a problem with you accessing it.  I just literally wondered which one you were talking about.  

Question:  Is there any chance that if I delete the older one I will lose the new  one, too?