Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Deleting a Folder   Message Editor Help Folder

Started Sep-21 by Gaelspirit; 290 views.
Gaelspirit

Sep-21

Is it possible to delete an entire folder and its posts, or do I have to rename it and delete all posts individually?  I have a folder I don't use anymore and was never that popular. 

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Sep-21

Go into Controls - Forum Managment and click on Manage Folders. Set Read Access to Some. 

No one will see it (including you but it might require logging out to achieve that) unless you grant access in Set Privileges.

Gaelspirit

Sep-21

I saw that, but I want to use it for something else I think...I mostly want to get rid of the posts I guess. Is there any way to mass delete the posts in that folder? Or do I have to do it one at a time?

Cstar1
Staff

Sep-21

In Classic forums, you can delete up to 50 threads at a time using the Manage Discussions link at the bottom of the left frame. The only thing is, you have to go back to the oldest 50 to delete them first, otherwise a gap is created, and you can't get to the older ones. 

To be honest, it's easier to just rename the folder, and start posting new things to it without bothering to delete the old. People who have already seen the older messages won't see them again, and newer people will only be presented with the 50 most recent unread threads in the forum. 

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Sep-21

You can mass delete 50 discussions at a time but it's not perfect. If your forum is older with a lot of posts it can screw up a bit.

The best way is to click on the folder title so only the posts from it show. Then scroll down and see it Next 50 is showing, meaning there are more/older discussion to view in that folder. Repeat until that Next 50 does not show.

Now Click on Manage Discussions (second red arrow)

Place a check in the box beside each discussion then use the drop down at the top to show Delete, add a check in the Confirm box and then click Go

It will delete those discussions and then load the next 50 for that folder. Just scroll down each time and make sure Next 50 does not show. You want to delete oldest to the most current as much as you can.

OR- Just use manage discussion on the last ten or so individual ones to close them. Then rename your folder and don't worry about the older ones.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Kid (Kidmagnet)

Sep-21

Seriously!!! I did all that work and could have just said ditto! lol lol lol

In reply toRe: msg 4
Gaelspirit

Sep-21

Okay, that answers my question, thank you Cstar!! :)

Gaelspirit

Sep-21

Thanx much Kid! Appreciate the suggestions :)

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Sep-21

Good luck - if anything goes awry let me know... I LOVE awry!