Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How to make some folders private   Message Board

Started Oct-11 by Glyn (LnlyFella73); 187 views.
Glyn (LnlyFella73)

Oct-11

Good Afternoon,

I haven't ever made any folders private before and would like to know how to do that please. Not sure if I need to share my forum link, but here it is:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/bwg73

My forum has a dark theme and I've labeled one folder about sharing dark things and also venting. I imagine that some people wouldn't feel comfortable sharing some things of that nature publicly. I also would like to know for down the road how to put posts in an archive folder. My forum's pretty new and I'm slowly doing things there now. Take care everyone and have a great day!

gunter

Oct-11

In a forum set to Classic like yours, look in Controls, Forum Management, Manage Folders.  Set Read Access of the folder you want Private to Some Members, Submit.

The folder will now show in Set Privileges of members where you can set to allow access. Make sure you are set to access as well.

Changes in folders may take some time to take, after making changes log out, perhaps even close browser, before coming back to take another look.  Members logged in at the time may not notice the change until they come back after a logout, it's best not to do anything critical in the folder immediately.

Regarding archiving, there is no special way. Since older messages do not show unless you search for them it's not necessary, but you can move messages to a folder for that purpose if desired.  Always start with the oldest ones first when doing that.

let us know how it goes ...

In reply toRe: msg 2
Glyn (LnlyFella73)

Oct-11

Thanks so much Gunter for your help!

I think I got it right? I logged out and also did a reboot. I still notice the folder doesn't say private? Does it only show that to others?

Lyndy (Lyndy7)
Staff

Oct-11

Folders only say "Private" if you add that to the name - it is not like "read only" "Reply only" which will show in the heading

Glyn (LnlyFella73)

Oct-11

Thanks Lyndy for the info!

Lyndy (Lyndy7)
Staff

Oct-12

you are welcome! We have a mentor service for all members, would you like a mentor to work with one on one to learn how to work your forum? Or do you want to work it on your own and ask questions here as they arise?

Glyn (LnlyFella73)

Oct-12

Good afternoon Lyndy,

I think I would like to work on it on my own and ask here if anything comes up. Thanks for your help and have a great day!

Lyndy (Lyndy7)
Staff

Oct-12

you too - whatever you feel comfortable with is fine by us this is just a service that you (and others reading) needed to know about and choose from.

Lyndy
Team leader/Coordinator
Host Mentors :)

Queen0Wolves

Oct-22

making the folder is done but now I can't find it.

I am the second highest in rank in our forum.

I added myself to the private folder but I don't see it

gunter

Oct-22

Did you log out, close the browser, perhaps rebooted, before coming back to take another look? That's what it may take to see the change.

let us know how it goes ...