Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Spamming/Forum not visited shows up   Technical Issues /Bugs

Started Mar-22 by Kakes2; 468 views.
Kakes2

Mar-22

This recently came to my attention by several ( about 10) regular chatters in my forum. Beginning around  March 12th, they noticed a particular forum appearing in their "Recently Visited Forums" list.  A forum that none of them actually visited. If they delete it from their list, it reappears and they cannot get rid of it.  They all report it is the same forum that shows up on their list. Some also reported numerous email spams from the same forum. Here is a screen shot of one person's list.

edited to say ... ok you cannot see the name of room clearly ..........it is  He Is Risen

• Edited March 22, 2018 1:11 pm  by  Kakes2
In reply toRe: msg 1
gunter

Mar-22

Forums not visited showing on your Visited Forums list is caused by miscoded sigs or using image urls stored in other forums. When someone loads a message with an image like that, the other forum shows as visited and the membername shows in the 'not visited' forum as well.

You may be able to figure out which message is causing this by checking your visited list after looking at messages to see when that forum pops up. Since it keeps happening in your forum, probably it's a regular visitor with that problem in the sig or text.

In reply toRe: msg 2

If you view recent posts on your forum in source (click edit on a post then Source on the editors toolbar) and see an image file that has: 

dir-doc as well as a forum webtag different from your own / that is likely the problem one. Each time it is viewed the forum will appear on the viewers VL 

Kakes2

Mar-22

Ok I think I understand. Yes I have a new visitor to my forum who is a regular member of the forum that keeps popping up. And yes, I will try what you are telling me.  Thank you so much.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Kakes2

Mar-22

Thank you for getting back to me gunter. Yes, there is a new person coming to my forum who is a regular member of the forum mentioned.  He has been leaving many post on the message boards, over the past two weeks . I will test what kid suggested to see if his sig images contain the webtag.  I will pass this information on to those affected.

In reply toRe: msg 5

To be fair - most people doing this are not trying to intentionally pull in other members. 

When members upload images from their computer to a post, the forum becomes the “storage site” and a viewer’s browser must “visit” that forum in order to see it. 

Many do not realize this when they copy and paste the image to another forum. 

Feel free to send anyone here if you need help explaining. 

Kakes2

Mar-22

Thank you Kid.  I know this is not intentional. The person is a nice man and I'm sure he does not realize what his images are doing. I just want to explain it to my members so they don't go nuts. Some got very upset, but I will be able to explain it to them without pointing out who the person is to apease their questions. Appreciate your help, but I will be back if I fumble this big time  LOL