Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Changes to Private Messaging   Technical Issues /Bugs

Started Mar-24 by YoungGandalf; 628 views.
YoungGandalf

Mar-24

Something about the new layout of private messaging does not work. There is a new folder structure and all conversations with a poster have been compounded into a single folder so that one cannot follow conversations back any longer. When I opened such a folder it disappeared altogether from view and has not come back after restart. And I see NO function to send a new private message.

Cstar1
Staff

Mar-25

YoungGandalf said:

And I see NO function to send a new private message.

You can send a PM through someone's profile. Click on their name on any message from them, or where you see their name in a visitor's list, and choose "Send Private Message". 

If you're already viewing a "Conversation" with that person, just start typing. If you're looking at the list of people in My Inbox, click on the Show All link on the bottom right.

When the dialog box opens, just start typing. 

As to the folder disappearing, I don't think we've pinned down what people are seeing/meaning. Did you look down the list to see if it just changed position once the messages had been read?

In reply toRe: msg 4
YoungGandalf

Mar-25

no, one can't

one can send a PM through some people's profiles

for others it says 'soandso does not accept PM', but that person actually DOES accept PM and talks to me and others all the time in forum

and for one person a long error message appears when trying to send a message - that person is a forum moderator in my forum

Cstar1
Staff

Mar-26

If you (and the moderator) are willing, please PM me that person's username where you get the long error message, and I'll take a look.

Everyone has the option to prevent PMs (and emails) via settings in their Preferences. Talking to someone in a forum isn't the same thing. Have them check this setting:

In reply toRe: msg 6
YoungGandalf

Mar-26

I think my problem has been resolved by kidmagnet.

In reply toRe: msg 4
bstn3

Mar-29

"..to the folder disappearing, I don't think we've pinned down what people are seeing/meaning. Did you look down the list to see if it just changed position once the messages had been read?"

In classic mode - I want to send a msg  I can click in their name on a post.   It then opens up to all notes we had together.    I write - I hit enter/send.. it is NOW gone off my msg lists.    I have to REMEMBER who I sent a msg to now.    They are not sitting in the msg area as read--- or to be read.    What is sitting there are any notes I didn't read yet.

Sent notes--- poof. gone.  Unless I click on the person's name on a post to send a note to them - then history of notes show.

I did try to change my format to Zeta today.  It didn't work- has to be me/operator error.    I wanted to see if I changed it to ZETA -- then looked for msgs- see what the difference is. 

In facebook msg - the msgs sits there - read and unread. 

Here- after I hit send--- it is gone off my msg list screen.      I would rather it sit there- sent.     

In reply toRe: msg 8
Cstar1
Staff

Mar-30

It's true that individual messages are no longer shown in a list. Everything is now grouped into Conversations with the other person. The design is more like text messaging on your phone. 

The messaging system is now a single system, whether your forums are Classic or Zeta, whether you're in chat, or on a message board.

bstn3

Mar-30

Thank you.  That is a good way to explain it.   Like texting... vs. like facebook msg.  

Thanks for all you do.   Appreciated.