Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Reposting of a message on a different forum   Administrative Issues

Started 4/21/18 by srragland; 993 views.
srragland

4/21/18

I told a poster I was going to take some of his posts from the forum I was conversing on to my forum because the answer I had for him was not a subject matter that was acceptable to post on the forum I was on.

At that time I had no idea it was against the Delphi rules to take posts from one forum and post them on another.  So I made an honest mistake.  The poster I posted to asked me to delete the posts so I am now going to delete the posts from my forum.

I do not ever knowingly break rules and I will never do that again now that I know the rule.  I am posting this here because I wanted to know more about that rule and consequences of breaking it.

Sincerely, Susan

• Edited April 21, 2018 11:04 pm  by  srragland
Cstar1
Staff

4/21/18

Hi Susan - it is against Delphi's rules because reposting without permission is a copyright violation.

Delete the post, and it's done. There should no further consequences. There's certainly nothing else as far as Delphi is concerned.

In reply toRe: msg 2
srragland

4/21/18

Thanks.  I have deleted it.

Susan

srragland

4/21/18

I wanted to edit the post I posted on this thread.  Is there a reason I cannot do so?

Thanks, Susan

Kid (Kidmagnet)

4/21/18

If you are seeing the forum as Zeta just click the little white triangle to the right of the reply button.

srragland

4/21/18

Thanks.  I guess it is okay that I edited it after it had been read.

Kid (Kidmagnet)

4/21/18

Yes - that was a good choice. Thanks Susan.

srragland

4/22/18

Yes, I think it was, but the idea only came to me a bit later. ;-)

Thanks, Susan

RCBZ

5/15/18

>>it is against Delphi's rules because reposting without permission is a copyright violation.<<

Copyright has been discussed here over the years and the above rule was made, but a link back to the original post was also required as I recall. There was another way to do it without needing permission which was to briefly paraphrase what the post author said and provide a link to the original post....is that still the case?
Additionally, how does the posting of pictures work, there are a lot of pictures posted with no link back posted...but in most pictures have a link embedded in the picture to the source. I believe Walt said that posting pictures were alright as long as there were no complaints from the author.

In reply toRe: msg 9
Cstar1
Staff

5/15/18

RCBZ said:

There was another way to do it without needing permission which was to briefly paraphrase what the post author said and provide a link to the original post....is that still the case?

Correct. If you're summarizing something in your own words, it's not violating anyone's copyright. 

RCBZ said:

how does the posting of pictures work, there are a lot of pictures posted with no link back posted...but in most pictures have a link embedded in the picture to the source. I believe Walt said that posting pictures were alright as long as there were no complaints from the author.

Pictures are exactly the same as text. The same copyright rules apply.