Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Off Topic - Google Images   Everything Else

Started Jun-15 by Freebird (freebird35); 508 views.

Hey, this isn't so much a question about delphi forums but a question to those more computer save'y when it comes to google & images. So here goes, last night like any other night when I would download a pic, I would first go to google & click images & then I would type in the pic I was looking for, (usually a woman like the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders or Judy Landers or even my old cars like a 57 Chevy for example) & up would pop a bunch of pics of what I typed in. Once I moved my mouse over the pic I wanted I would click the mouse & the pic would get bigger & to the right would appear like 10 more smaller pics with 5 on top & 5 underneath so if I wanted to see those smaller pics I could just move the mouse over the desired pic & click it to make the smaller pic big. Now here's my question, today I decided to do the same thing with the cheerleaders & the whole thing is SO FREAKING DIFFERENT than before. Now you click a pic once you move the mouse over it & the pic pops up but where did all those small pics to the right go? WTF is up with that? I HATE IT!!!  Can anyone fill me in on this? Its this kind of crap that's making me NOT wanna keep my internet service no more. I'm old school to where if its not broke, DON'T FIX IT!!!  And there was nothing wrong with how the images were last night. That IS till they went & ruined it. So what gives? Can anyone explain this? WTF is going on?   And thank ya kindly for the answer.

I dunno, but Google Images works for me as you described that it originally worked for you.  I loaded pix, clicked on a specific image, and up it appeared, enlarged, with
multiple other possibilities displayed to the right.

Chrome. This never happened to me before & my girlfriend told me she heard on the news that google was gonna be doing something & we just wonder if this was it or not. But I've been using Chrome for as long as I can remember & this never happened before. Just was wondering what was going on is all.

Strange. What you posted is EXACTLY how it was working for me just the other day. Then yesterday it was like I said, the whole landscape suddenly changed. And for whatever reason I don't know. I'll check today & see if its the same or if they went back to the way you posted from how it use to be. And thank ya for the reply back cos I do appreciate it.

Glen (GEAATL)

Jun-16

This has nothing to do with your computer, browser or internet provider.  It was announced by Google several months ago and settled litigation against Google by Getty for copyright infringement.

From a Feb. 15 2018 news story in the Verge:

"Google is making a change to image search today that sounds small but will have a big impact: it’s removing the “view image” button that appeared when you clicked on a picture, which allowed you to open the image alone. The button was extremely useful for users, since when you’re searching for a picture, there’s a very good chance that you want to take it and use it for something. Now, you’ll have to take additional steps to save an image.  The change is essentially meant to frustrate users. Google has long been under fire from photographers and publishers who felt that image search allowed people to steal their pictures, and the removal of the view image button is one of many changes being made in response. A deal to show copyright information and improve attribution of Getty photos was announced last week and included these changes...The intention seems to be either stopping people from taking an image altogether or driving them through to the website where the image is found, so that the website can serve ads and get revenue and so people are more likely to see any associated copyright information. That’s great news for publishers, but it’s an annoying additional step for someone trying to find a picture. Now you’ll have to wait for a website to load and then scroll through it to find the image. Websites sometimes disable the ability to right click, too, which would make it even harder for someone to grab a photo they’re looking for. Fortunately, there’s still at least one way around it: if you right click, you can select “open image in new tab” or “view image” (or whatever your browser’s equivalent option is), and you’ll still open up the full-size picture...Google has also removed the “search by image” button that appeared when you opened up a photo, too."

Full story: https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/15/17017864/google-removes-view-image-button-from-search-results

There have been small tweaks since, and also have been some bugs with image searches since.  For example: https://www.seroundtable.com/google-image-search-exact-size-filter-25492.html

There also have been experimental releases that change the look and feel of image viewing using Google so you may have hit that too: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/Vx2noME1vDc

Just as an aside, I'm using Firefox.  I don't know whether or not that plays any part in what
each of is seeing.  I doubt it, but one never knows these days between different browsers....

Thanks for that info. All I do when it comes to images is, I download tv/singer types of gals & download em to my desktop. You know, like Judy & Audrey Landers, the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, or a young 20 something Linda Ronstadt, or even my old classic cars like the 57 Chevy. And I put em on my desktop & nothing more. But I get why the change is being made even though I'm not thrilled about it. People will try & put the screws to ya anyway they can anymore. Its just that I like to see a purdy face in the morning while drinking my coffee & that's why I download em to my desktop. While its true I have a girlfriend N all, we live in separate homes till we can find one we can afford. So I can't see her purdy face every morning cos we don't spend the night all the time at each others crib if you know what I mean. Its just a bummer that they had to change the image thing. But thanks SO MUCH for all the info & letting me know the problem wasn't in my computer or its settings. I DO appreciate the info!!!

That's my backup browser. Maybe I'll switch over to that one, if they don't go back to the way it was before. All I do is, download pics for my desktop. Nothing more. But if they wanna make a big deal about it, I guess I'll switch over to Firefox. Thanks for the info & the help. Appreciate it so much!!!

Glen (GEAATL)

Jun-16

Since most image searches use Google, changing browsers might not matter, but every browser does work a bit differently, so it's easy to try Firefox, Opera, Explorer, Edge, etc. just to see if you prefer how one works.  Some also have extensions that affect how you download and save.

Bear in mind Google isn't the only search in town.  While I dislike Bing immensely, it's an option, as are a few other search engines, so you can always try image searches on another.  The article I posted has a known workaround on the Google changes, which is simple to use, so try that also.

All of us tend to dislike change.  I still mostly use Classic here since I've never been a fan of Zeta Delphi, and while I mostly do not use a Microsoft browser, when I do, I use Explorer as I hate Edge.  Heck, I still think Microsoft Word 2003 is better than all the "upgrades" since (although to stay compatible with folks, I'm stuck with new and not improved, which, LOL, is why my office mostly runs on Word Perfect).