Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Chat room being held hostage by TROLL   Chat

Started Nov-6 by Sassy (MrsSassy); 713 views.
Sassy (MrsSassy)

Nov-6

I have been kicking what I think is the same person out of my Forums Chat room for almost an hour now. Not only is is it disrupting a regularly scheduled nightly chat room on Delphi for 19 years now it has also resulted in several of the members getting very frightened and upset, something I take great pride in preventing at my Forum. How many accounts can one person have with multiple email addresses? I have had two accounts for 19 years and the only reason for 2 of them is one is a basic account so I can help people with issues with their account or understanding how to accomplish what they want on Delphi and the other  is my Plus account. Both have valid email accounts. What is the process that someone can have so many accounts handy for these attacks?

Sassy

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Nov-6

Sorry I know this is addressed to Gunter but I was going to suggest you put the room on moderation to protect your regulars until the troll gets bored.  

Kakes2

Nov-7

Hi Sassy, I had the same problem last night with probably the same person.  After the second name I put my chat room on Moderation, this way the only people who can chat are those with Voice for your forum. I noticed the person had the same email address and they came in about 20 times with different names.  I like you, cannot understand how they can have more than one account using the same address, but will keep the room on Moderation until the holiday season is over.  Good Luck and know you are not alone.

gunter

Nov-7

It's not the same email address, Hosts see only the domain which may be the same, such as namea@gmail.com, nameb@gmail.com etc.

We send out confirmation email when someone opens a new account, but that can't stop opening a number of accounts with the same domain.

The only answer is to use moderation.

CC to Kakes2
In reply toRe: msg 4
Kakes2

Nov-7

Thank you for clarification on that, and thank  goodness for moderation.

sweethearts4u71

Nov-21

It is the same troll he just makes new nicks he is going around Delphi with the nick [ removed ] right now causing trouble.. if we kick and ban that nick he makes another one... he has been doing this for awhile now. I wish we could ban Ip's

• Edited November 21, 2018 6:34 pm  by  gunter
gunter

Nov-21

Trolls like this know to change IPs at will. Moderation is the answer.

Please do not post names and fetails here, email service@delphiforums.com if needed. I've edited your msg.

In reply toRe: msg 7
sweethearts4u71

Nov-21

ok thank you.. 

Sassy (MrsSassy)

Nov-21

that not what I'm talking about Gunter. What I'm asking is WHY in the world does Delphi allow anyone to have so many accounts with Delphi?

Even on a free account don't people have to give you valid information concerning themselves prior to being able to open an account,  for every account that they want to open?~ like their real name & everything else that's required for a paid for use account? ( Or something alone that lines )  Certainly it's not to much to ask for that information?  Maybe the ONLY way to prevent the Trolls from holding peoples Forums HOSTAGE is to require that information???

I don't know the answers but Moderation doesn't really help in the chat room. My Forum is on Moderation and I still have a lot of problems from time to time~ yes it's much better now than it was 15 years ago and I do thank Delphi for the help it has given us with the tools we now have BUT there really needs to be something else that the Forum owners could do to prevent these attacks. ( Or stop them quicker when they do happen )

Sassy

gunter

Nov-22

This has been a problem for ever. Free accounts have no way to check personal info ... It's not feasible  to send out agents to people's homes or have them submit documentation or drop by our office with passports to make sure they are who they say they are before allowing them to log in. Some rooms also play games with multiple IDs and want the ability to create new accounts quickly.

We had a category where forums allowed only paying members, but that wasn't popular. Private forums give you max control if desired. You can't have an open forum with easy access without some problems.