Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Troll problem   Chat

Started Sep-22 by MountainMan7640; 983 views.
MountainMan7640

Sep-22

Folks we had a troll problem today.. The email I got for them is [ removed ]. They used several knicks so cannot say alot more..

Thanks MountainMan7640

Seniors Hideaway

• Edited September 25, 2019 8:08 pm  by  gunter
gunter

Sep-22

Sorry this is happening ... delete and ignore.

we'll try more at this end ...

• Edited September 22, 2019 9:10 pm  by  gunter
In reply toRe: msg 2
Sassy (MrsSassy)

Sep-25

Gunter any word concerning seeing what could be done concerning this troll on your end?

I have 11 names he used to enter my Forums chat room. The email is the exact same as the one MountainMan7640 reported  to you already. If you want all the names used to enter my Forum I'd be more than happy to provide them to you after what they put my Forums chat room members thru.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.  Sassy

Note:

I also have a question concerning the  suggestion that you gave MountainMan7640 when he let you know about this "troll".

( Gunter said: ) "Sorry this is happening ... delete and ignore."

I  was under the impression that if I deleted a  persons name that the name could return to my Forum yet again? Am I correct or am I simply misunderstanding what your telling MountainMan7640?

Thanks so much for all your great advice & help!

Sassy

*Hearts That Hear*  Mental Health Support

web tag comfortplace

gunter
Staff

Sep-25

MountainMan said he received email, that kind of spam can be deleted and ignored. That's different thsn locking someone out of a forum.

We've blocked those names now, they won't be back, but anytime you see a number of new members popping up using the same email domain like that, block them right off.

When a forum is not on moderation to newcomers it's open for trolls and spammers to disrupt.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Sassy (MrsSassy)

Sep-25

My Forms chat room is CURRENTLY under attack by this same person. Any help from Delphi woud be very much appreciated by all of LONG TERM paying customers!

Thanks so very much!

NOTE: You already have access to my Forums Controls as well as the logs of the Chat session which are in fact running for documentation of these attacks.

web tag: comfortplace

In reply toRe: msg 4
Sassy (MrsSassy)

Sep-25

My Forum IS on Moderation Gunter~ it makes no difference when it comes to the chat room however unless there is some setting I'm not aware of  IS there? If so what are the drawbacks of placing the chat room on * Moderation * also?

I *suspect* this person monitors  *this*  Forum to see what's going on.

Sassy

gunter
Staff

Sep-25

When you don't put your forum on moderation, there is little we can do other than react after the fact. You can set moderation just for some time when this happens.

gunter
Staff

Sep-25

http://www.delphiforums.com/support/chatFeatures.htm

To turn moderation on: /mode #room +m
To turn it off: /mode #room -m
To give someone voice: /mode #room +v nick
To take it away: /mode #room -v nick 

Voice from your main forum settings carries over.  No drawbacks other than newcomers can't chat unless they get Voice.

and yes, anyone can read here ...

In reply toRe: msg 8
rendercat

Sep-26

Putting the forum in moderation stops him from chatting in main. It does not stop him from pming. This is what he goes straight to when he shows up. He already knows when the forum is in moderation he can't talk because he doesn't have voice.

When in moderation, pming needs to be shut off as well to anyone that doesn't have voice.

gunter
Staff

Sep-26

good point ! Hard to do I think ...  only voiced members can PM, but how to mesh that with other PMs you are having not through a forum.

• Edited September 26, 2019 8:43 am  by  gunter