Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Copyright question   Administrative Issues

Started by YWN666; 1139 views.
YWN666

1/30/14

I see in the rules that members cannot violate copyright laws but there is conflicting information as to what constitutes a violation. I see some posting a link with the complete text of the article and I see some saying that you can only post a maximum of 4 paragraphs from the article. Where is the line between a violation and an acceptable link to an article? Is posting YouTube videos a violation?
In reply toRe: msg 1
Glen (GEAATL)

1/30/14

The complete text of an article is obviously illegal. Four paragraphs is almost always far more than is legal. Quotes need to be shorter. Youtube's tos allows the use on their share to embed a video elsewhere and appears to indicate that a poster that has not disabled embedding agrees to it.
YWN666

1/30/14

So a quote needs to be just long enough to give the reader the gist of the article?
In reply toRe: msg 3
RCBZ

1/30/14

This has been discussed for over a decade and from what I remember it's 1-2 paragraphs then the link. An entire article is a no no
RCBZ

1/30/14

Do a search here on copyright law and you'll find a ton of stuff.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/hosts/messages/?msg=25234.2

In reply toRe: msg 4
WaltHowe

1/30/14

There is no specified amount that is OK to quote in Fair Use law. There are multiple considerations in addition to length in determining what is appropriate. Two paragraphs might be OK in a 5-page article, but not in a four paragraph source. In one court case a short quote from a Gerald Ford book was deemed inappropriate, because it disclosed sensational information and affected the marketability of the book.

RCBZ

1/30/14

I agree, I just recall the discussions over the years about it and that was kinda what was deemed the "rule of thumb". But, common sense has to come into play as well. There's a ton of threads in here that I read rather than ask a question because most of the time it's already been answered...
Glen (GEAATL)

1/30/14

>>>So a quote needs to be just long enough to give the reader the gist of the article?

Exactly. What's appropriate depends on context, length of the story, etc. A 25 word quote of a 50 word article might infringe. A 50 word quote of a 5000 word article doesn't. Think SHORT. Short plus a link is a good rule. We do a lot of such quotes in my forum. Many if not most are a few sentences (or less). Very few are longer.

YWN666

1/30/14

Thanks for the info.
In reply toRe: msg 9
And a recipe can be copied, with the link of the recipe source if I'm not mistaken.