Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Copyright question   Administrative Issues

Started by YWN666; 1146 views.
In reply toRe: msg 9
And a recipe can be copied, with the link of the recipe source if I'm not mistaken.
WaltHowe
Staff

2/9/14

I believe there is some case law on recipes. If it is a simple list of ingredients and instructions with no original comments, it is probably OK under copyright law to copy it. The link back to the original is a courtesy. But if there is originality in the comments, I would err on the side of caution and get permission before copying.

Glen (GEAATL)

2/9/14

Here's the definitive answer, from the U.S. Copyright Office itself:

"Copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of ingredients. Nor does it protect other mere listings of ingredients such as those found in formulas, compounds, or prescriptions. Copyright protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook. Only original works of authorship are protected by copyright. “Original” means that an author produced a work by his or her own intellectual effort instead of copying it from an existing work."

Source: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html (note: items from US federal agencies are also not copyrighted)

What about pictures from articles Glen? I always heard that you shouldn't post the pictues that come with the articles or recipes but always wondered about it.
Glen (GEAATL)

2/10/14

In most cases the pictures with the recipe or article are copyright protected. So, for example, if you found a recipe on Food Network's website, the recipe itself could likely be reposted, but the comments they write about it like "This is what Bobby Flay likes to make with his wife at home, and he usually serves it with a dry red wine and roasted vegetables on the side" and the picture of him cooking it are things you should NOT post.
Thanks for explaining Glen. I was curious about the pictures . I do see a lot of them posted in different forums here though.
Glen (GEAATL)

2/10/14

There are a lot of hosts here who do not police their forums well for copyright violations (and it's risky).
There a lot of hosts here that participate in the same. :-(

Nothing wrong with a photo and a few lines from an article that includes a link to the whole article. I'd think it would also work with a video.

Rich...